Broodies broodies broodies and breaking.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Broodies broodies broodies and breaking.

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Just a few days til the equinox. Weather has been warm. And the girls are heating up.

I Set Bianca in early Feb, she is strutting about clucking and screeching with her 4 in tow. Queen of the place. Her hatching seemed to get the others fired up.

I set Cherry on 8 about a week ago. Seems to be doing well. If she hatches a few days before the end of the month, there is supposed to be a sale in Harrow, and I will take her and her chicks there, see what they bring. The cuteness factor should (I hope) bring the price up a little. My kijiji price for a hen with chicks is $50, and I sell three ofr four a year. See if the auction is a better bet.

Then I set Rusty on 9 a few days ago, and Leopard yesterday on 7. Egg production has dropped from 15 a day to ten.

And today there are two more wont get off the nests and are screeching and clucking at me. I think I will break them , spread the timing out a little out a little.

I do like my broodies and the chicks, and it is not nice to put their hormones on reset, but I will put them into a wire cage with no bedding, up off the ground, no food, just water for one night and two days. That usually does it, I let them out and if they go back to the next box right away, back into the cage for another day. In the summer time, I will get them good and wet in the rain barrel before they go in the cage, increases the efficacy or my ministrations.
Attachments
Cherry.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”