New "Brooder Hen"

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Think I have it figured out. The one on .com is US $. May have to order one of these by the end of the day!
Makes sense
Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST OK so I ordered one. I remembered what fun it was having a lamp shatter in the middle of the night!
Gee thx Jim LOL!
Just couldn't resist could you ;)
JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST I ordered off of Amazon.ca $74.99 Canadian.

https://www.amazon.ca/Brooder-Electric- ... ectric+hen
Thanks Jim, there was another one that looked pretty much identical, but had a transparent dome on it, to prevent the chicks from roosting on top, which sounded like a pretty good idea, of course now I can't find it.
I was mainly wondering how stable it is perched on those 4 legs.
Really curious how you and KB like it.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Happy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:31 pm

Ooooh very interested how this and your brooder box works out! I'm functioning on a "no chicks in the house" policy so looking for solutions!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Happy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:40 pm

[/quote]
Thanks Jim, there was another one that looked pretty much identical, but had a transparent dome on it, to prevent the chicks from roosting on top, which sounded like a pretty good idea, of course now I can't find it.
Really curious how you and KB like it.[/quote]

OC was it the Premier 1 model? I have been checking that one out. I did read several reviews advising not to bother purchasing the dome but applying some peel and stick (like Mac TAC) to the top surface and let the chicks sit on top of it. I know the Premier 1 sells replacement legs which always makes me figure I will need them eventually.

JimW
Head Chicken

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by JimW » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:10 am

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST
Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Think I have it figured out. The one on .com is US $. May have to order one of these by the end of the day!
Makes sense
Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST OK so I ordered one. I remembered what fun it was having a lamp shatter in the middle of the night!
Gee thx Jim LOL!
Just couldn't resist could you ;)
JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST I ordered off of Amazon.ca $74.99 Canadian.

https://www.amazon.ca/Brooder-Electric- ... ectric+hen
Really curious how you and KB like it.
Yes the Premier1 Heating Plates you can buy the plastic dome cover. I really like the idea of the plastic dome, but not the price $49US for the 12x12 heating plate plus another $16US for the cover. If I like the models I bought I will probably buy the larger 16x24 inch Premier1 model and the cover.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heat ... cat_id=226

I am going to try and make something to cover the top of my heater so birds can not perch on top.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

JimW
Head Chicken

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by JimW » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Okay so far not overly impressed with the heat output of the electric brooders. Making a few adjustments, will give more details after some more tests and trials.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:09 pm

I just checked the website of "titan incubators" and they are from Great Britain so I would expect the quality to be high (probably still made in China)
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

JimW
Head Chicken

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by JimW » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Ok I set up the one electric brooder in my classroom for a couple days as we had a few chicks hatching this week. I used a a 30" x 18" aquarium as the brooder container. The room temperature is around 72 F. Under the brooder panel the temperature was around 92-93 F and the chicks happily moved around going under to warm up and then coming out to run around.

I would say all in all I am happy with the performance of the heat panels, I have to brood my chicks in the garage, no birds allowed in the house, so it is a bit too cold in there for just the heat panels at the moment but within the next couple weeks I should be able to just use the heat panels and no lights.

Originally I was going to order the Premier1 model heat plates because they have a 12"x12" size and a larger 16"x24" model, but decided to try the Titan model and order a larger Primier1 model later from the USA.

But my staying up late for no good reason earlier in the week paid off when I responded to a kijiji ad within a few minutes of it being posted, I picked up my purchase today...

A Brinsea EcoGlow 50 brooder new, in never opened box for half the price of new!!!
Ecoglow 1.jpg
JimW
Black & Blue Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Nice! Sometimes it pays to stay up late ;)
Thanks for the info, I can see how it would make a difference if the brooder was in the room temperature or in the barn.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:21 am

Mine came up to 85 easily in a very cool room. I think it will be fine when the ambient is higher. Seems very stable to me.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JimW
Head Chicken

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by JimW » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:40 am

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Mine came up to 85 easily in a very cool room. I think it will be fine when the ambient is higher. Seems very stable to me.
Ya so far with minimal testing the panel seems to be good to create a temperature under it around 20-25 F above the ambient room temperature.

JimW
Black & Blue Poultry

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”