New "Brooder Hen"

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Wondering how you guys are finding your heat plates now that you've had them a while? I was just about to order the premier 1 - 16"x24" size but I'm not sure I will always need that big. Just concerned that 12x12 seems fine for 20 newly hatched chicks but a week later might be very tight quarters on a chilly night. My plan is no chicks inside and HOPEFULLY no heat lamp although I will have it if need be. Any further thoughts on these?

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by JimW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Happy, I really like them. I have only used my 12x12 one so far, I have not used the large Ecoglow one I bought yet.

I cannot keep chicks in the house, they are in our garage which is not heated so it is cold (around zero C, on a good day) so I have been using the heat plate but also have a heat bulb as well to help bring up the temperature. I am hoping that as spring progresses I will be able to use just the heat plate.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:24 am

I have used the heat plates for a couple of years now. The only thing that irritates me is the chicks will jump on top after a week or so and the poop all over the top. Otherwise they are wonderful. And so much more peace f mind than heat lamps for me.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Happy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:57 am

I went ahead and ordered the 16"x24" Premier 1 model today. Sprung for the cover as well. So I guess we will have 3 different ones to compare. Exchange rate is a killer but oh well.

Happy

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Happy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST I went ahead and ordered the 16"x24" Premier 1 model today. Sprung for the cover as well. So I guess we will have 3 different ones to compare. Exchange rate is a killer but oh well.
Lol scratch that.
Cancelled the order and went ahead and ordered an ecoglow 50. When I looked into addition border fees and taxes due I was slowly creeping to the price of the brinsea. Which is already at least in Canada so I know there's no extra surprises or delays.
First splurge of my smoke free savings so what the hell.

Happy

New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Happy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 am

Someone here emailed me asking where I got the eco glow. I've tried replying but it's not going through.
I think there's only one distributer for brinsea in Canada. C. Botkin Enterprises (cbotkin.ca) mine shipped next day and was at my post office in a week.
Hope you see this!

Happy

Re: New "Brooder Hen"

Post by Happy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:49 pm

I meant to add this earlier. I've only used this brooder once since my second batch of chicks left at a day old. I was pretty nervous about using this since the nights were still dipping down to 0 at the time and I only had 2 chicks successfully hatch so not much shared body heat with just two. They were in an unheated/uninsulated coop and they did awesome! Did give them a little nest of scrap fleece blanket to cuddle into under the heat plate but I think that was more for me than them lol. They never showed any signs of distress and feathered in very quickly.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”