Set for Dec 1 or so.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Set for Dec 1 or so.

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:26 am

OK, so I said I wasn't going to set anything more this year. But Fondue, my very good brooder was in a family way. Screaming at me on the nest. Wouldn't get off. No eggs under her (I had removed them daily for three days) So I picked seven of the darkest Marans eggs over three days and set her. Weather is still good. Pullets to lay in the spring.

Hard to see in the third picture, but she is rumpless. Not naturally. Three years ago the neighbors city dog visitor tore the popes nose off, I thought I could see gut wall showing, tho not broken and I thought I would lose her. Put a handful of salt on it, just caked it on and it soaked up the blood and crusted. She had young chicks at the time too. Healed up and feathered in, and she is no worse for it. Lays for a while and then wants to set again. Three broods a year is usual, but this will be the fourth this year.

She just can't help herself, and neither can I. Should have results about the first of December. Will report in later.
Attachments
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Set for Dec 1 or so.

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:47 am

You go girl!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Set for Dec 1 or so.

Post by kenya » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:47 pm

She's a pretty girl, I have one in the basement with her chicks, I must say I'm not too fond of that but in the barn they would not survive.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Set for Dec 1 or so.

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Fingers crossed!! I have one "due" next monday
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”