Will this work??? Help pls

Arwen.26
Newly Hatched Chick
Birthday

Post by Arwen.26 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks for all the help...I'll keep you updated. A question though I think she would be happier with them alone....should I move her to the other coop first before trying with the chick's. Or should I see if there is any interest in the chick's first before I even bother with the private suite? .lol

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu May 26, 2016 2:01 pm

If you don't have the ability to fence off an area in the main coop so that everyone can see one another without direct access, then if it were me I would go with a private suite, just to be safe. That would be less stress for new mama if she doesn't have to fend off unwanted attention from others on top of having new chick raising responsibilities. You can re-introduce them (supervised), when they are a little older.
Last edited by Jaye on Thu May 26, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Agree with Jaye, private suite, less chance of mishap.
If she adopts them, she will look after them for approximately 6-8 weeks, and it will give them chance to develop without being picked on.
Arwen, I think you have a Grate Dane Crate, that might just work perfectly for introductions, if the hen would be more or less confined , but the chicks would have a chance to get out if things got dodgy.

Arwen.26
Newly Hatched Chick
Birthday

Post by Arwen.26 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Ok if I get what you saying correctly, I should move my hen..maybe give her the night to get comfy in her new home, then bring the chick's in for an introduction tomorrow afternoon?

Arwen.26
Newly Hatched Chick
Birthday

Post by Arwen.26 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:13 pm

I do have a great dane cage but, LOL one problem OC, ....the little fluffers can fit through the holes...

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu May 26, 2016 4:33 pm

you want the chicks to be able to get out of the cage just incase things go sour... good luck!!! keep us posted as im quite interested to know the outcome.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Arwen.26
Newly Hatched Chick
Birthday

Post by Arwen.26 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Ahh ya I could see how that would work. But I was thinking of having the chick's in something when I introduced them..just to see the reaction of the hen...then proceed with letting them have complete contact if things look good, if she wants nothing to do with them or worse. ..I'll just abandon the idea. But if things look good that may work for a bit to give the chick's an out for the first few days...thanks!
Oh wow I read OC post but somehow missed that part..."smack head" lol

Lori
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Lori » Thu May 26, 2016 5:13 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST I hope it works out, let us know how things go.
BTW, if that doesn't work out you can always give her some eggs to sit on :)
I don't mean to hijack this post, I'm following it along here and I have a question about what you said Ontario Chick. How long after she starts sitting can you give a broody hen fertile eggs? If I were to put fertile eggs under a hen who has been broody for a couple weeks....would she continue to sit on them until they hatch, or would she quit 3 weeks after she started sitting?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 26, 2016 5:22 pm

I have had hens keep sitting and hatch turkey eggs for me - 28 days. Add 2 or 3 to make sure she's broody. The stimulus for them to stop sitting is the chicks beginning to hatch and chat to her.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu May 26, 2016 5:40 pm

I would put those eggs under her soon though, if you're going to, since she's been broody for a couple of weeks already, because when hens are broody, they will lose condition (just sitting and only eating, drinking and pooping once a day is hard on their system).
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”