Will this work??? Help pls

Arwen.26
Newly Hatched Chick
Birthday

Post by Arwen.26 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:37 pm

I have a newly broody hen about 4 to 7 days now....And my chicks are just about 2 weeks. I have a separate smaller coop for the chick's when they're ready to go out. But I thought maybe I could put them out early with the broody hen? Any opinions based on the information? THANKS ALL
:chicken-egg:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed May 25, 2016 6:49 pm

I think unfortunately the window for chicks bonding with your broody hen and for your broody hen bonding with your chicks has passed. Most suggest that under a week old it's still possible, depending on the broody and the chicks, but beyond that, success is much less likely.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed May 25, 2016 6:49 pm

If you can put them somewhere where she can see them, you can listen to her reaction to them.
I have had a non-broody hen adopt 2 week old chicks, the moment she saw them she started calling them so I let her in, and she took to them like they were hers, but of course it could go the other way and she could see them as intruders.
It really depends on a hen and how closely you can supervise.
Last edited by Ontario Chick on Wed May 25, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed May 25, 2016 6:50 pm

:iagree: and good advice.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Arwen.26
Newly Hatched Chick
Birthday

Post by Arwen.26 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks OC. The new broody is the black hen you sold me 2 years ago. ..maybe I'll find a way to get a bunch in there and near her to see her reaction...I have a small crate that should do the trick

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed May 25, 2016 11:05 pm

I hope it works out, let us know how things go.
BTW, if that doesn't work out you can always give her some eggs to sit on :)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu May 26, 2016 7:48 am

What breed is the broody hen? My silkie doesn't ask questions. She takes them all and by all I mean 30 chicks!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:07 am

I agree with pretty much al of the above. Probably too old, but you could try just after dark when she is settled in her spot. Gently quietly stick the chicks under her. They should settle where its warm, and she will adjust herself on them and in the morning wake up with new babies. At this age, might work, might not, but would be my method of trying.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 26, 2016 10:07 am

Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST I agree with pretty much al of the above. Probably too old, but you could try just after dark when she is settled in her spot. Gently quietly stick the chicks under her. They should settle where its warm, and she will adjust herself on them and in the morning wake up with new babies. At this age, might work, might not, but would be my method of trying.
Sorry, but that's the only one that I wouldn't recommend, you may have a whole bunch of dead chicks on your hands in the morning. :(
At two weeks the chicks are a bit old to be trying the quiet sneak in method. :)

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Thu May 26, 2016 10:10 am

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST
Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST I agree with pretty much al of the above. Probably too old, but you could try just after dark when she is settled in her spot. Gently quietly stick the chicks under her. They should settle where its warm, and she will adjust herself on them and in the morning wake up with new babies. At this age, might work, might not, but would be my method of trying.
Sorry, but that's the only one that I wouldn't recommend, you may have a whole bunch of dead chicks on your hands in the morning. :(
I agree wit OC,
From experience this does not work most of the time.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”