Serious chicken math misunderestimation! Help

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Tue May 17, 2016 10:52 am

Don't forget neglect the other rooms in the house they all need chicken love.
All bedrooms, living room, furnace room(better to spread the dust), Dinning room, kitchen, laundry room.
They all need the special love that chicks provide.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Tue May 17, 2016 11:14 am

Doug The Chickenman wrote:QR_BBPOST Don't forget neglect the other rooms in the house they all need chicken love.
All bedrooms, living room, furnace room(better to spread the dust), Dinning room, kitchen, laundry room.
They all need the special love that chicks provide.
Ahh haa haaaa!!! roflmbo

Yeah maybe we should move into the coop, and spread those chickens around the rest of the house. They probably would prefer carpeting to animal bedding anyway! Nice sofa roosts- what's not to love?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Tue May 17, 2016 11:17 am

Doug The Chickenman wrote:QR_BBPOST This is why they make bathtubs in your bathroom.
Works even better when they are ducks.
WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST i had mentioned a bath tub as a brooder/sick pen just recently....hm....wonder which thread that was in.....
Actually there is a bathtub in the incubator room! Hmmmm.... I guess it would be prudent to make sure the stopper is in the tub... but how to hang the brooder lamp? The shower curtain rod is too far over.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue May 17, 2016 11:35 am

How about something like this in your bath tub brooder?
http://cmfarm.us/pvc-heater.html
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Tue May 17, 2016 11:54 am

Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST
Doug The Chickenman wrote:QR_BBPOST This is why they make bathtubs in your bathroom.
Works even better when they are ducks.
WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST i had mentioned a bath tub as a brooder/sick pen just recently....hm....wonder which thread that was in.....
Actually there is a bathtub in the incubator room! Hmmmm.... I guess it would be prudent to make sure the stopper is in the tub... but how to hang the brooder lamp? The shower curtain rod is too far over.

From the showerhead to the other end of the shower curtain rod will give a bit of an angle but should keep it in. Just watch out for the curtain ( may want to remove it).

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Tue May 17, 2016 12:50 pm

Desperate times call for desperate measures- I checked the weather forecast so into the bathtub they went. I put a cedar pole across the shower curtain and secured it to the showerhead, and tied off the end to the towel bar. I did remove the shower curtain, good idea one less thing to dust. I hung the brooder lamp off the cedar cross pole, seems to be secure enough.

I put a layer of those EVA foam squares on the bottom of the tub for insulation, then a layer of newspaper and then some flax. The tub does curve so the chicks are sort of confined mostly to the middle, the newspaper and flax are pretty slippery so I put some paper towel over the newspaper and under the flax. ( Now they won't be able to read the riveting articles in the NY times though..... but so be it.)
My husband will think I've gone stark raving mad. Best I don't say anything and maybe he won't notice
I can spread the remaining chicks out into all the totes, and that will give me a couple of days breather to fix the brooder in the barn and for the weather to warm up a bit.
Thanks everyone for your help! I was a bit concerned that the chicks would get sick if they went down to the barn before it warmed up a bit.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Tue May 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST How about something like this in your bath tub brooder?
http://cmfarm.us/pvc-heater.html
I think I'm ok with the brooder lamp. My Christmas lights are all LED.

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Tue May 17, 2016 1:19 pm

temps by Monday are going to be about 29C here so you should be fairly warm then and then just the draft free part.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Tue May 17, 2016 4:05 pm

Doug The Chickenman wrote:QR_BBPOST temps by Monday are going to be about 29C here so you should be fairly warm then and then just the draft free part.
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not another week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue May 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Was going to suggest those spring loaded friction fit curtain bars....lol.
Hope everyone is doing great!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”