Broody Turkeys?

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Broody Turkeys?

Post by thejonesboy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:25 pm

This year the turkey hens have started laying in a box outside in the run. At anytime I have 1 to 4 hens brooding the eggs in a large nest box. Last night I checked on them and all four of my hens were in the box sitting on a pile of eggs.

Has anyone experienced this and what kind of outcome can I expect.
Andy :egg:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Broody Turkeys?

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Yup, co mamas last year. Took turns to hop off etc. Successful hatch and they cared jointly for the babies. This year I have 2 sharing under the pines and a coop which did have 2 sharing but they changed their minds and only one left on. Good luck but watch the poults, I didn't realise with one girl last year she didn't know how to care for them and they died. Just make sure they're getting food and water.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Broody Turkeys?

Post by thejonesboy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Oh good. I had one hen sit and hatch last year, they were very healthy. There must be 20+ eggs this year.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Broody Turkeys?

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:03 pm

My one hatched a bunch successfully and is raising them wonderfully!! My other 2 are both sitting now on 13 and 7 eggs....fingers crossed
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Broody Turkeys?

Post by Brebis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:19 pm

Happy today, I've had my one Red Pencilled Palm sitting on three eggs for the last 3 weeks and when I was cleaning their pen out today I candled them and they all look good! Not sure about hatch date probably mid to late next week but looking forward to it since I haven't set any others this year.
I've got extra space this year so will be able to move the Tom and other hen out so she can raise them-this will be the first time I've been able to do this so looking forward to it!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Broody Turkeys?

Post by thejonesboy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:38 pm

The hens are sitting on 15 eggs that I know of, probably many more :) They are due in 2 weeks-ish. I also put 24 in the incubator and only had 2 non-fertile. So 22 due next week :xfingers:

Hey Brebis are you interested in a poult trade? :smile: I'd love to have a Pencilled Palm or two. :turkey:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Broody Turkeys?

Post by JimW » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:16 pm

Any tips for a broody turkey hen that is still in with the Tom and a couple other hens?

I currently have 2 turkey hens that are broody (1 Beltsville and 1 Artisan Gold), though I have been taking their eggs, if the 20 eggs I have in the incubator are fertile when I candle them this week. I would like to leave any new eggs and let the hens sit.

I am going to be moving the turkeys into 2 new pens 1 for the Beltsvilles and one for the Artisan Golds, but I don't have room to put the broody turkeys in their own pen. I also don't want to let the toms and non-broodies free range as they is a flock of wild turkeys in the area and a couple jakes have already come for visits to the turkey pens. As well I just got word that a farm down the road had 2 lambs killed by a bear last week, so everyone is staying locked up most of the day.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Broody Turkeys?

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 01, 2016 6:32 am

Last year my Tom didn't disturb either the hens or chicks and is very gentle and not pushy with them. So far the Jake has been fine too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Broody Turkeys?

Post by WLLady » Sun May 01, 2016 7:20 am

I tried to remove my tom from the hen with poults and he went nuts. I had to put him back in or he would have killed himself trying to get back in. He hasnt touched mom or the poults, was showing the kids how to eat, they were chasing his snood....he has been great with them, watching where he steps....he is still strutting up a storm but hasnt harassed anyone. My first year with broody turkeys too but i must say i am much less worried about the toms being with moms now...pleasantly surprised.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Broody Turkeys?

Post by Brebis » Sun May 01, 2016 9:55 am

When you keep the brooding hen and poults in with the other turkeys, how do you feed them? Turkey starter for everyone I assume?
I had planned to take the Tom and the other hen out so the broody hen had more space and privacy, maybe I'll see how it goes and only remove them if it gets too crazy.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”