Broody Turkeys?

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Broody Turkeys?

Post by Silkie Sue » Sun May 01, 2016 10:10 am

I can also join this conversation.... Snickers has been sitting on about 12 eggs for over a week now and Hershey has 13 eggs in her nest but hasn't sat yet, so hopefully i will have some Chocolate Turkey poults to cuddle again. Twixxy and Cadbury the Tom are still in with them but i can separate if i have to... never been in this boat before either so i guess we will have to see. i hope the Tom is good with the babies

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Broody Turkeys?

Post by thegawd » Sun May 01, 2016 10:25 am

I fed my free range poults last year in a hopper feeder with a waterer under an old table with lattice on all four sides to keep out the other birds. it worked pretty good but free ranging a hen with poults didnt. i wont be doing that again.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Broody Turkeys?

Post by JimW » Sun May 01, 2016 11:24 pm

Okay thanks for the comments. I guess I wouldn't worry about the tom and the other hens, I will just keep an eye on everyone and hope for the best.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Broody Turkeys?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon May 02, 2016 2:09 am

I've always kept the tom with the hens and poults. Sometimes, he would get the urge as toms do while a hen was sitting on eggs (perhaps he took her prone position as an open invitation?) and sometimes an egg would get broken, so I threw a bench over top of the nesting area, or moved the girls and eggs to dog crates so the tom couldn't climb on top of the setting hen. Once Mum is up and out with poults though, no issues with the boys being in there, I've never lost a baby turkey to a tom. Bad mothers, yes, toms, no, not even young jakes.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”