Niagara is hatching today

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:31 am

So three weeks ago on Saturday, the wonderful WWLady Kathy brought me some hatching eggs. Mix of several, because I had a Splash Americauna broody. I started checking under her on Friday. Nothing. Saturday, yesterday, had many visitors, a whack of kids 4 to 10. I checked again, no shells starting to pip. But took one egg out, shook it gently by my ear, and peeping form inside! Kids were absolutely amazed, and I never get tired of it.

Two out of the eggs this morning, kind of pinkish shell that Kathy had marked RIR. I am assuming the rest of them are doing their thing. Will update and later send pictures. Not as exciting as new baby goats, but wonderful just the same.

The hen had not had a name before, but she will have to now. Niagara it is, as she is a Splash. Leopard, the last broody is doing fine with the adopted children thanks to Al Thegawd. Getting over a dozen good farm eggs a day, enough for us and the neighbors. The neighbors get free eggs because the chickens are over there grazing all the time and they don't seem to mind, and that is worth a lot to me.

Charlemange the roo that Kathy brought that day has settled in well. He and Two Thirds (the old roo) have worked it out pretty well. You go this way and I'll go that way, and some of the girls can go with you and some with me.

Getting into the garden today too, finally a few days in a row of decent weather. The goats, Celeste and McArthur are a month old, and nice gentle affectionate. Their mother is giving ridiculous amounts of milk as well as feeding them. Their big sister will have a baby or two in the next few weeks. The mini horse is mostly done shedding gobs of hair. Got the dog sheared yesterday so he wont be too shaggy as the hot days approach. Traded that to a dog groomer that wanted her baby goat dehorned. Nasty job, but at young age, doesn't seem to affect them an hour later.

Life is good.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:56 am

right on man! thats AWESOME! :-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:07 am

UPDATE UPDATE!
Just checked and pulled another shell out, dark chocolate Marans shell.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:16 am

Congratulations!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Congrats!!! This sounds like a great weekend!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:50 pm

So seems we are done. Six out of eight hatched. Niagara is a first time mom, and a little bewildered, but those kids will whip her into shape, just like we did our parents. Notice in the second pic, the chunk of sod I dug and turned upside down with them. Allows them their first grit and maybe a few bugs and roots for mom to scratch and show them. I always do this with new hatched, works pretty good I think. They never seem to plug up, gets the whole system functioning.
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:52 pm

I cant seem to get this to post two different
IMG_0063.JPG
pictures on the same post.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Thats great!!! She looks pretty content all poofed up being mom. :-) congrats!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:55 pm

Congrats!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:58 am

Congratulations! Cute little babies!

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”