Overdue broodie

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Overdue broodie

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:43 pm

So I set a broodie. Been 22 or 23 days now. No peep. No chicks. Took a couple eggs and shook them gently by my ear. No sloshing. Put them back. I don't think she got off and back on, but not 100% sure. Anyone with broodies or incubators ever have them go over and still successful? I will give her a few more days I guess. Eggs I break in the pan fertilized, so I don't think the rooster is shooting blanks.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Overdue broodie

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:58 pm

I just had 2 chicks hatch on day 22 in my incubator, I always give them 2-3 extra days before giving up on them. you never know especially with these crazy swinging temps. I just check by candeling with a cheap led flashlight with fresh batteries that I have taped weather stripping around the lens. Id give them a couple more days before candeling.

Good Luck Man!!!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Overdue broodie

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:05 pm

p.s... if nothing happens I have 6 chicks you can give her, free.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Overdue broodie

Post by Poultryprincess » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:22 am

I' would give her a few more days.
The weather has been cold, so maybe that delayed it.
Have you tried to candle an egg?
BTW - I've had a few broody hens which were quite Happy to adopt chicks.
At least you have some options.
Good Luck!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

kenya
Henny Penny

Overdue broodie

Post by kenya » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:18 am

Maybe she wasn't quite sitting when you thought she was, could be a few days late then.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Overdue broodie

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:33 am

Like PP said, candling one egg will give you an idea if, a) the eggs are actually fertile and b) if they are, how far along in development they are.
Broody sitting consistently and on good eggs placed under her at the same time, will be on time and usually 99.9% hatch. :)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Overdue broodie

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:23 pm

Thank you everyone. Nothing this morning and its day 25. Al says he has some day old mutt chicks that I will go get this evening. Put them under her tonight and she will get up in the morning a happy mom. The help and interest from members of this site is just wonderful. A community I am pleased to be part of. Again, thanks all.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Overdue broodie

Post by thegawd » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:25 pm

the 6 chicks are off to there new home with Farrier and his broody! Very very glad I could help out and so very happy to see them go to such a great home!

:coolguy:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Overdue broodie

Post by Poultryprincess » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Farrier1987, I have given broodies already hatched chicks with great success.
This is my method ~ it has Nevah failed me ( used over a dozen times )

Put the chicks in a small box with air holes. I used the bottom portion of a box that pop came in.
I put the box of chicks "Behind" the broody hens container.
She can hear them, cluck to them & yet not BE with them.
The chick box was there for a few hours, with NO actual contact to the hen.
In the dark of nite, I took the chicks "one by one" & Gently slid them under the hen.
( at the same time I would Gently REMOVE with every handful some of the existing eggs )
Keep everything CALM & as dark as you can.
Because the hen has clucked to the chicks & vice versa, they already know each others sound.

Keep the area dark for a few Days. If the hen sees them, she may attack the chicks.
( I've had that happen, so SMALL, DARK quarters is best )
After a few days they will be a Happy, connected family!!!!

NOTHING sweeter than a mama & her chicks - Good Luck & ENJOY!!!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Overdue broodie

Post by Jaye » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Farrier, since time is of the essence in your case (since these aren't day-olds any more, so every extra day that passes makes the likelihood of bonding less probable) may I suggest the method I used with my Silkie ? I brought her into the laundry room after nightfall in a cat crate, feed, water, lights off. Picked up the chicks to be grafted, brought them home and then tucked them under her from behind. Watched to see how she reacted. Make sure you are up early to check in, just to make sure everything is okay. In my case, when I tucked them under, she did this " Wait, Whaaat?!!? Oooh, babies!" thing. I checked in on her and her new babies at about 2 in the morning and she "told" me in no uncertain terms that she had things well in hand, and to turn the flashlight off and bugger off.
Next morning I moved her into the broody coop with her new babies.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”