Medicated vs Nonmedicated feed...

SandyM

Mixing chicks from different farms

Post by SandyM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:32 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST the medicated feed is only for coccisidios (sp?) its not a cover all... I dont feed it either. im now using masterfeeds. and guess what they have changed there package to 100% recyclable n added a statement to show their commitment to a sustainable future.

A very Wise man once told me to let the experts make the feed, there are many years of science behind them. something clicked in my head and it all made sense. I follow all the instructions on the bag and dont add anything at all.
Screenshot_2016-04-07-11-16-00-1882825023.png
Al, directed at the companies statement - not you.
It's a fine statement to make re: back of the bag, but where's their data? Are they using pesticides, fungicides and herbicides on crops? Because that is not sustainable. Are they growing GMO's or source GMO's? Because that's not sustainable. What are they doing that is different that most are governed to do anyways? Who funds their research? Are their nutritional values based on a 6-12 week old meat chicken, a 2 year egg laying flock or?? Do they have a lab where they are testing the consequences of the GMO and toxins used in their crops and the effects on the birds?

Green washing is at an all time high, and typically if a company is proud of what they're doing it is in bold print, clearly defined, not hidden under a bunch of nice sounding words.
Last edited by SandyM on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:37 pm

I bet there is! remember the chick that hatched to fast with the unabsorbed yolk sac? my fault for whistling at the incubator, Dont Do That! I felt so bad! well I had to tie it off and cut it off.... The chick survived for a while but was always behind... One day it was dead. I take full ownership for that... it was eating and drinking and pooping... Sad.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:41 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST I bet there is! remember the chick that hatched to fast with the unabsorbed yolk sac? my fault for whistling at the incubator, Dont Do That! I felt so bad! well I had to tie it off and cut it off.... The chick survived for a while but was always behind... One day it was dead. I take full ownership for that... it was eating and drinking and pooping... Sad.
So if they have some level of immunity through the yolk how fragile are they? And not size wise, I mean health wise. If a disease came in and killed the chicks, would that same disease have the same affect if it hit a grown flock? Probably.

I never stop thinking. Questioning. It's hard to be Lou and live with me LOL!!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:44 pm

im really not sure but to be honest I dont even worry about it. sure I wish there were better options but organic feed cost an arm n a leg.
Screenshot_2016-04-07-16-40-00739665445.png
Screenshot_2016-04-07-16-40-08707393813.png
Screenshot_2016-04-07-16-40-32-1882825023.png
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:46 pm

most flock do infact carry disease... under a stressful situation the disease shows itself... but im honestly not educated in any of this, thats why I dont try to figure it out and trust the experts.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:18 pm

AHAAA! No need to be sorry Sandy... let the conversation continue!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:29 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST AHAAA! No need to be sorry Sandy... let the conversation continue!
Thanks Al!!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:30 pm

check out this article about going antibiotic free... it kinda ties in here.

http://www.wattagnet.com/articles/24230 ... id=1179145
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST
Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST The thing is, a chick that is loaded with coccidia will not thrive. They do horrific damage to the chick's gut. They are not harmless. Given the choice of two evils, Me personally, I'll take the amprolium. Feeding a high protein/fat diet will also help with low thiamine levels.......... besides, at recommended levels, apparently, amprolium does not interfere with the thiamin metabolism of the chicken (Scott, M.L., M.C. Nesheim, and R.J. Young. 1982. Nutrition of the Chicken. )
Well they would say that wouldn't they! Looks like they were using meat chickens and Leghorns.
Results are influenced by who funds. My readings have told me that most feed that claims 'recommended level' has the MINIMUM requirements in it and it is not produced with longevity in mind.
Of course free range birds will naturally supplement their intake with available bugs, grass etc., but what about those that aren't free ranged?

There really isn't an easy line to draw. Pros and Cons on both sides and of course interpretation is always a factor. I see orange, someone else might see black from information available.

Oh I just love a good talk :) thanks y'all!

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:42 pm

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST Ok, quick question again.
Surely there must be enough nutrients in a yolk that is their immune builder for the start off in life? Same as humans? We give some immunity to our newborns for the first 8 weeks I think it is?
Yes, there is, but again it depends- on what the mother was exposed to, and what her nutritional status was while laying those eggs. There's tons of research to show that poor nutrition of the mother means weak, unthrifty, or dead chicks. In theory too, there's enough thiamine in the absorbed egg yolk to keep the chick going for a couple of weeks. But bad things happen, despite everyone's (hopefully) best intentions, and that's why I never ever trust a single food source for any of my animals.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”