Step by Step Broody Hen Instructions

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Step by Step Broody Hen Instructions

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:22 am

@lolotsung you aren't going to like what I'm going to say now - sorry in advance. Please don't rehome those birds. Different breeds lay different numbers of eggs. I will message you.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:21 am

@lolotsung You are better off just culling the MS birds, and then cleaning everything thoroughly -virkon or bleach.....the MS can spore and stick around so you need to clean really really thoroughly. Then you can start again with new birds.

What breed are they? If they are production birds of any type they will lay like mad for about 14 months. if they are heritage, then some breeds lay 200/year, some more, some less.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:11 am

@lolotsung OK what she said! I just pmd it LOL!
Mutt chickens for eggs

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:48 pm

They look so happy pecking around the yard though. Seems wrong to lock them up or cull them. I don't want to spread MS to wild birds who will spread back to the chickens and its an endless cycle. So many diseases, harmful microorganisms it's a wonder any animals, trees, etc. Live to adulthood. Lol. I haven't built an outdoor enclosure for them. I was about to then thought why put all the effort when they have MS. Might as well buy new hens. If it's so difficult to get rid of. I'll build another coop at the bottom of the hill. I like that spot better because I can see it from the new house. I'll built a large outdoor enclosure and use 1/2" hardware cloth so nothing gets in. Then they will be safe. Also the rooster is crowing at 4 am and he seems to like crowing all day and he's waking everyone up so no one will miss him. Lol. Thanks for the advice. @Killerbunny @WLLady I'm going to see if there is anyone nearby who will process 4 chickens. They lived to be adults and they lived a good life until they died. :-)
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 01, 2022 6:24 am

Well at least they had a better life with somebody that cared about them for a while. I would still make sure he is aware of this problem because he sells all over and takes birds to shows.
Mutt chickens for eggs

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun May 01, 2022 6:25 pm

I told him everything that the vet found after testing with throat swabs and poop. Bumble foot, mycoplasma synoviae (MS), coccidia, and round worms. I'm guessing all quite common. I'm wondering how I can get MS and MG free chickens. Should I ask the breeder for a lab test? Yes, they had a good life and surprisingly my son said he wouldn't mind eating one. My daughter said she has had visions of the rooster dying because he is waking her up at 4 and she can't fall back alseep. Lol. So she's quite happy about it. She's even looking for someone to process the chickens nearby. :lol: I'm going to for the first time. Build a coop FIRST then get some eggs, chicks, hens...
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 03, 2022 6:56 am

A lab test is only as good as the day it was taken. I get my birds swabbed a couple of times a year so on Dec 15th? there was no M.synoviae, gallisepticum or meleagridis. I treat with Ivermectin 2x per year for worms and mites and use Bronco in the coops. You just hope the birds were kept in healthy, sanitary conditions. Sounds like these weren't but that's conjecture. Don't expect to get a tour of the property. I've seen reviews where people complain they weren't allowed on. For Biosecurity many people won't let you in including me. When you pick up the birds check them over before accepting them and if they appear sick or unhealthy walk away. I recently met somebody who has Chanteclers from Dan & Heather in Kincardine and has grown them into a nice family flock. They are going to get a few more soon. Best of luck.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”