Chicks-Electrolytes? Probiotics? Both?

EggCited
Newly Hatched Chick

Chicks-Electrolytes? Probiotics? Both?

Post by EggCited » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi All!

I'm wondering what everyone does about water for chicks. I've heard that people recommend using some electrolytes and/or probiotics in their water for the first little bit to help them get off to a good start (particularly since mine are being shipped).

Does anyone have suggestions about this? I have seen mentions of "Sav-A-Chik" on blogs etc. but I haven't seen this in Ontario anywhere.

Thank you from a newbie :-)

JimW
Free Ranging
Answers: 1

Re: Chicks-Electrolytes? Probiotics? Both?

Post by JimW » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:48 pm

If I have been in the US recently and bought Save A Chick when at TSC I use that in my chick water for a couple days. I don’t think Save a Chick is available in Ontario.

If I don’t have Save A Chick I use StressAid that I buy in Ontario at TSC
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Cream Legbars, Cuckoo Malines, Rumpless Araucana and Turkeys (Beltsville Small White, Blacks, Slates and Chocolates)
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Jaye
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Jaye » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Sav-a-chick is available at Tractor Supply in the US, and I have a supply on hand. If you are close to a border, it may be worth finding a Tractor Supply in your closest US border city. I shop at Tractor Supply a couple of times a year for poultry stuff I can't get here in Canada.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Some time in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:59 pm

I always use vits & electrolytes in the water both for chicks and at any time of stress. This is the one without the antibiotic.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 am

You can get just vitamins and minerals at Lois's. It's water soluble and I use it after I take my chicks out of the incubator for a few days. And if I see anything off in a newly hatched chick. Seems to work like a charm.

EggCited
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by EggCited » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks everyone! I found some stressaid so hopefully that will be ok for the chicks! I will defiantly be stopping by a TSC the next time I am in the US!! Kbr42 where is Lous’s?

JimW do you mix it the same way as the poultry directions in the package? Or do you do less since it’s for chicks?

JimW
Free Ranging

Post by JimW » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:09 pm

EggCited wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 pm
Thanks everyone! I found some stressaid so hopefully that will be ok for the chicks! I will defiantly be stopping by a TSC the next time I am in the US!! Kbr42 where is Lous’s?

JimW do you mix it the same way as the poultry directions in the package? Or do you do less since it’s for chicks?
I kind of follow the directions but probably mix it a bit weak
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Cream Legbars, Cuckoo Malines, Rumpless Araucana and Turkeys (Beltsville Small White, Blacks, Slates and Chocolates)
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”