GOOD INCUBATOR??? Tell me about it

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:09 pm

I always have problems regulating the temperature with my incubator.
I have a "BROWER TOP HATCH TH120"
Bought it 9 years ago for $225 & only used it once.
Then 3 years ago pulled it out & found it had been recalled.

Brower sent me a brand new bottom console.
This turns the unit & heats the bator.
I loaded it a few times with Choice eggs from various well known breeders.
The hatch rate was less than 50% which is disappointing.

Hubby said to find an incubator that will do things right.
My budget is under $500 ~ is that do-able?

What incubator do You have?
Likes & dis-likes? Tips? :question:
Thanx for any info (*o*)
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:23 pm

what do you set your humidity levels at? personally I build incubators so I cant offer any advice on purchasing one. but I could make a really kick butt incubator for $500!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:39 pm

I run hovabators-3 of them. They have been wonderful and only about 200$ each. The one is about 8 years old. The others are only 2 years old. The oldest has been jolted through 2 lightning strikes and still works just fine (although the readout is a little wonky) i had to replace the fans in 2 of them. Otherwise they worked right out of the boxes with minimal temperature tweaking.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:00 pm

We have a Brinsea Octagon 20 (approx $200?) that we use for incubating, and a still air hovabator (under $100) for hatching - more space to separate different breeds/pens, and there is no fan to get gunked up with chick fluff! The oct is great: digital readouts, fan, good at holding temp. Has some trouble holding high humidity at hatch, and only holds 20 eggs. But since we started using the hatcher, less turnaround time. The hovabator was our original incubator, and it was fantastic! Hovabators are usually very good buys: a real bang for your buck! You could make a list of all the things you're looking for: size, type of readout, type of thermostat, is it equipped with a turner, material... and search for possibilities from there!
"So please ask yourself: What I would do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it." Sheryl Sandberg

Co-President of U of Guelph's Poultry Club
Proud to be called a chicken

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:06 pm

Yep, GQF makes the Hova bator and hova genisis: common machine, parts are modular and can be easily upgraded: get one with a "turbofan" or a fan kit is easy to add to a machine. Used by reptile folks and bird folks. Autoturner is a must. A family I know run three of them, Ontariochick runs a pair on an "uninterruptable power supply", basically a unit that is a surge protector and battery backup (buy from Staples). They run best in a room with a stable temp and humidity. I ran mine in the unfinished basement for 20 years and ran them dry with decent results. I never got good at managing humidity and didn't have to with this setup.
http://www.berryhill.ca
And buy a copy "Guide to Better Hatching" by Gail Damerow
i was maybe 12 when a bird guy sold me an old round hovabator for $10. I added a turbofan kit and still use it as a hatcher: thats 30 years now. Its fugly and purrs like a kitten.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:47 pm

http://poultrytalkontario.net/forum/vie ... ova#p10895

this is really good to read.
baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Option: 1 Office supply places (Staples) sell a surge protector/UPS (uninterruptable power supply) rated for 350 watts (to run a sportsman) for 6 or 8 hours for $225 or so. They have a bunch of features including replaceable battery and self testing programs with 2 yr warranty. I think of Ontario Chick and the double Hovas she runs with a smaller UPS (hovas run 75 watts).

Option 2 is a bator that runs off 12 volts with deep cycle (marine) batteries and solar or trickle chargers. I am not an expert so there's a few more details here needed to figure this version out.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:14 pm

Like baronrenfrew mentioned I run 2 Hovabators, just like any other small incubator they take a bit of fiddling before you get comfortable with them, but they are reasonably priced and the latest model with electronic readout and automatic turner is easy to use, will not break the bank and will serve you well. I would also recommend "Spotcheck" thermometer to use with these.
Incubating set up.jpg

Fairsing farm
On the Roost

Post by Fairsing farm » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:18 pm

I incubate in a GQF 1502 sportsman, then hatch in an older sportsman, with a humitity pail.

i also hatch in my Brinsea 20 and do quite well with it. Love to live stream in that hatcher so I can sneak a peek on them at work :smiley-char026:
Insurance broker/hobby farm enthusiast competes in cariage driving, breeder and exhibitor of silkies and showgirls in buff black cuckoo white, bantam white Cochins in smooth & frizzledd https://www.facebook.com/FairsingFarms/

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:50 am

I have the r-com 20 and love it, humidity, temp and turner all automatic, only holds 20 eggs though. Have to use distilled water though or it gets lime build up then have to replace the humidifier. Costly as well, think I paid 400.00 for it.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:26 am

OK I have done alot of researching & had a few questions for all of you Experts.

What would be the advantage of a "Still Air" as apposed to a "TurboFan" HovaBator?
I want a Chicken Egg Turner, but is it really worth paying more for the dual "Chicken/Duck" or the Chicken/quail"?
( is the Quail something I would need for hatching Silkie eggs? )

So far looks like a HovaBator for 40 eggs will run me $260 to $325
Includes FAN, egg Turner, digital hygrometer / thermometer & plastic liner.

I'm checking out a few other incubators like the Brinsea.
My current plan is to use the HovaBator until "Lock Down"
Eggs will be transfered to my TOP HATCH from Brower.

The hope is my hatch success rate will be better than what I have presently.
"IF" my hatch is good this time around with the Brower, I might change my mind
BUT right now hubby is saying "Get what incubator you need"....so think I should strike while the iron is hot - LOL
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”