HATCHING EGGS on a PLANE?

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:21 am

I am traveling to Alberta & was wondering IF you are allowed to bring HATCHING eggs on the plane?
Is there any paper work needed?
Will the eggs be damaged if they get put thru the Xtray / scanner?

I don't want to buy hatching eggs only to have them taken away from me.
Westjet said they have No problem letting the eggs on the plane.
They couldn't say if the Security would allow it.
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:40 am

I know some people have taken them. When I used to take film I would ask for a hand check at security.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:03 am

In the past ....I have moved eggs from one end of the country to the other on many occasions , My suggestion is the following... either pack them in your checked luggage... packed like you had a faberge egg in tow.... ( protect them from any sort of impact and place them in the middle of your luggage encased in a double plastic bag) as baggage handlers do not care about much ... fragile means through under hand not over hand..lol.. Now if you are taking them in your carry on ... they are subject to inspection(s) .... so have them readily accessible , so do not have them buried in your carry on .. you may ask for them to not be put through the xray machine.... but will more than likely be subject to a swab down to see if they can detect any hazardous or explosive or other issues... I suggest that you only take clean and sound eggs... as well wrapped but note they will be unwrapped by security but will be your problem to re-wrap them ( leave lots of time to clear through security .. no last minute rush or they may just say no ???.... I have had some security personel refuse to not put them through the xray and tell me if I want them to go as carry on .. they must go through the machine.. I have noticed little affect on hatchablity with this ??? In fact my I moved some eggs in for a son of a friend of mine spring of 2006 ... security refused to let them go with out going through the xray machine.... he hatched a buff brahma bantam out of these eggs that was Res Champion bantam at the 2006 Cross Roads of America Junior show in a class of over 1600 bantams... so not sure if it was radioactivity that made it a champion or not.. Exposure to the mild xrays from these machines I feel has little affect but we are dealing with a sensitive product here.... You do not need paperwork to move eggs with in Canada.... hope this has helped.
TL

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:27 am

I would think in checked baggage they would be harmed by the cold temperatures in the cargo hold at such high altitudes, wouldn't they?

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:15 pm

I never travel with anything that needs to be checked, only a carry on.
But it is Good advice to go early, & i will make sure it will be easy for them to check the eggs.
I'm traveling in a few days, so I might not be able to arrange for any eggs this late in the game anyway.
Should have started this Months ago.
Thanx for the info & I will let you know IF I am able to get my hands on some eggs!

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:11 pm

I have done this lots and lots.
I have always brought home 3-4 dozen eggs from Ontario to Alberta.
But, you can not carry them on. You will need to check them thru and yes, they will be going thru the X-ray. I have heard you can carry 6 onto the plane with your carry on......but it to will go thru x ray.

They want the eggs to be packed in a hard sided cooler. You check this in with your luggage and they will place FRAGILE stickers all over it and hand carry them ( with the pets) to the special luggage area. The airline will also count this as a piece of luggage and will charge you.
When you land. You will need to go to a different area to pick up your hard sided cooler....again where the live animals get picked up.

I hope this helps.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

LittleChickenRacingTeam
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by LittleChickenRacingTeam » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:27 pm

I hope everyone understands that luggage that goes into the hold of the plane is also x-rayed

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:30 pm

GOOD info - Thanx so much!
Things didn't go as well as I had planned in Calgary.
Caught a flight home 2 days early.
Good thing I hadn't made plans to pick up eggs.

BUT I am collecting eggs from my Favorite birds
"AND" I am hoping to go to my veri First MOUNT FOREST SALE!!!!! (Happy Dance)
Trying "not" to make a long list - ha ha ha

Fairsing farm
On the Roost

Post by Fairsing farm » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:34 am

Poultryprincess wrote:QR_BBPOST GOOD info - Thanx so much!
Things didn't go as well as I had planned in Calgary.
Caught a flight home 2 days early.
Good thing I hadn't made plans to pick up eggs.

BUT I am collecting eggs from my Favorite birds
"AND" I am hoping to go to my veri First MOUNT FOREST SALE!!!!! (Happy Dance)
Trying "not" to make a long list - ha ha ha
hEY we will be at M F! make sure you stop by and see us! let me know if you would be interested in any eggs I may be able to bring you some if you are interested
Insurance broker/hobby farm enthusiast competes in cariage driving, breeder and exhibitor of silkies and showgirls in buff black cuckoo white, bantam white Cochins in smooth & frizzledd https://www.facebook.com/FairsingFarms/

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Does anybody know if there is a limit to the number of eggs allowed in carry-on?
"So please ask yourself: What I would do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it." Sheryl Sandberg

Co-President of U of Guelph's Poultry Club
Proud to be called a chicken

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”