Humidity

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Humidity

Post by Happy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 am

Depending on your incubators wire floor you need to be careful about chicks slipping a foot through it and getting stuck. I had that happen in an old galvanized incubator. They are very uncoordinated at first and their little bones are very flexible and can be "bent" the wrong way quite quickly.. if you look at the pic of the month you will see shelf liner in the back ground. I buy it at top dollar for $3 a roll I think. I use it on flipped over dollar store trays for chicks feeding and drinking stations as well as in the incubator. Your carpet underlay would be similar. It's purpose is to give slip resistance to chicks, unsure they can't get little feet stuck and make clean-up easier.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Humidity

Post by KimChick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Happy wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 am
Depending on your incubators wire floor you need to be careful about chicks slipping a foot through it and getting stuck. I had that happen in an old galvanized incubator. They are very uncoordinated at first and their little bones are very flexible and can be "bent" the wrong way quite quickly.. if you look at the pic of the month you will see shelf liner in the back ground. I buy it at top dollar for $3 a roll I think. I use it on flipped over dollar store trays for chicks feeding and drinking stations as well as in the incubator. Your carpet underlay would be similar. It's purpose is to give slip resistance to chicks, unsure they can't get little feet stuck and make clean-up easier.
Thanks, Happy. Yes, it does look very similar. I was thinking more of cushioning for the eggs, to keep them from rolling on the screen, and those tiny toes and knees. The screen itself is small enough that a foot cannot go through, but a toe might.
A thought that has come to mind is if the height of the incubator is enough. We'll see if it all works out.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”