Storage of Eggs for Incubation.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:47 am

I know you have all done some unorthodox things and the eggs stil hatched, this is just the bare bone basics to give the eggs best chance to become chicks ;)
Ideal storage temperature is between 10-15C , definitely bellow 20C when some development may start.
Store eggs pointy end down in egg cartons, and if the eggs are going to be stored longer then 6 days, start tilting alternate ends of carton once a day to keep the eggs yolks from sticking to shell.
The hatch ability is reduced if eggs are stored longer then 14 days.
Sorry this is the best picture I have, eggs are on the basement floor left side of picture, it seems to provide the perfect temperature.
Incubating set up.jpg
I personally start turning eggs second day, because I wouldn't know which eggs were 6 days old

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:03 am

I store mine in the basement as well but I store them pointy end up on the advice of an old veteran who he says when stored like this he doesn't even worry about turning.Has worked well for me but I still turn them once a day.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:32 am

I store my eggs in egg cartons inside a freezer ziplock bag. I do this to prevent evaporation and keep the air sac from expanding. This allows me to keep hatching eggs a bit longer until I have enough to fire up the incubator. my incubator can hold 90 chicken eggs but I want at least 30 before I start it up. I dont have a basement so I keep the eggs in the most cool stable place I have and since the temps are not going below zero I keep them in the insulated garage right now.

In the past I would keep them in an egg turner but since I stole the motor from it for the incubator I've been turning them by flipping the egg cartons right over. carefully, over easy. :-) Now if my first hatch dosent work out as planned I will turn them from side to side. However my last few hatches from last year were turned by flipping the cartons with no noticeable ill effect.

I want to build a hatching egg storage fridge so the eggs will always be at the optimum temperature and turned properly.

I use different colored sharpies for each breeding pen. chicks will be toe punched once hatched and banded accordingly once I decide which ones will be kept.

HAPPY HATCHING!!!
20160311_100930-248856897.jpg
20160311_1010081659601063.jpg
20160311_101249159691275.jpg
Al

Home Grown Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:53 am

A sharpie? Ink? Dude that's bad from what I know, i use a pencil or pencil crayon. The ink gets absorbed into the egg and can poison the egg.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:59 am

no its a myth... Mark them with anything that will stay on and be legible when you need to read it... sharpies dont bleed through the first layer of shell at all. check the link below... hatching egg storage where i posted some proof. but you know I think i will just do my own experiment and color a bunch of eggs solid with a sharpie.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:27 pm

I made this a sticky OC! Your wisdom will always be at the top!

:-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

downhomeroots
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by downhomeroots » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:44 pm

I store my eggs in the basement and I store them in an egg turner. I have a spare in case one stops working in either incubator. So I use that when I start collecting. Before that I would place something under the eggs cartons and tip one side in the morning and tip to the other side at night.
BBS Copper Marans, BBS Ameraucana, Salmon Faverolles, Welsummers, Gold Laced Barnvelders, Japanese Buff Black Tail Bantams, Silkies/sizzles/frizzle. Ducks: Cayuga and Khaki Campbell

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:17 pm

FABULOUS ADVICE ~ Thanx to Everyone!!!!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Storage of Eggs for Incubation.

Post by KimChick » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 am

I have just started collecting eggs for hatching. Right now, I have my 6 eggs in an egg flat, on a hardwood floor, beside a cold air return; it's 60F, 50% Humidity. If I put them in the basement, it will be at 48F and 50% Humidity.
Which is best?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Storage of Eggs for Incubation.

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:52 am

It depends on how long you are planning to save them, I personally would go with the basement option, just in case it takes longer then you think to gather what you want.
Not too sure about the cold air return, if it creates draft, the eggs might be loosing humidity too fast.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”