temp for forced air incubator?

PlumHollow
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by PlumHollow » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:48 pm

I have just fired up my somewhat new-to-me and never-been-tried-by-me winecooler incubator. It uses a incutherm thermostat/fan. It is set at 99 degrees. Is that good? what about humidity? Humidity comes from a pan of water in the bottom. I am going to be hatching chicken eggs. I discovered with my still air incubator that the settings they recommend don't work well (too much humidity) So I'm asking this time before I set the eggs!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Double check temperature and humidity with a separate thermometer/hygrometer , to find out what is the actual temperature and humidity.
In my experience, whatever is the Incubator set at, doesn't necessarily reflect the actual temperature and humidity.
I incubate at 99.5 degrees, but depending on house temperature, usually have to set the incubator at 100+ to actually get that.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:05 pm

Plumhollow the humidistat from Incubator Warehouse is great, worked flawlessly for me, you just need to hook it up to a humidifier. Actually you don't even need to hook it up to a humidifier, but it reads the humidity accurately so you never need to guess.

I purchased an Accu-rite cheap indoor temp and humidity gauge from Home hardware, (ten bucks) it's on par with the Incubator warehouse humidistat for the reading, but it won't turn a humidifier on and off to maintain a range.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:22 pm

I agree with the multiple thermometer checking. Remember you can check accuracy with boiling water and ice slush (100*C and 0*C).
If you have an accurate scale you can also weigh the eggs and do the math to figure out if they are losing the right amount of water.
This website will walk you through it: http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/How ... ight_loss/

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”