Was only thinking about firing up the incubator and........

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:16 pm

there are temperature activated alarms but there are power outage alarms which is better for the incubators. can get really fancy and have them even send you a txt message.... if theres a power outtage first thing I do is wrap the incubators in heavy blankets then sit down n hope it comes back on... if it dosent come back on in half an hour or so is when I fire up the generator.

I have never actually fully serviced the genie. I even almost blew it up one day... melted the oil cap right off and blew the oil everywhere... filled it back up and put a new cap on and it fired right up. thank goodness for the low oil shut off safety switch!

I just always no matter what turn the gas off and let it run itself out. iv never changed or even checked the sparkplug, never cleaned or changed the air filter. iv had it now for 6 or 7 years and it always starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull once the gas hits the cylinder. Iv only changed the oil once and that was just because the cap melted. a very very reliable machine. preventive maintaince goes a long way (you may think I havent done any LOL) BUT the ethanol In the fuel eats away a rubber and gaskets n such... unless everything is stainless and ment for ethanol this will always cause a problem. 9 times out 10 the problem is fuel delivery/contamination which results in a chain reaction causing other problems and clogging up the carb/ports and fowling the cylinder/spark plug.

im a rambler eh! haha
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Are you kidding? Ramble on, free mechanical advice = priceless!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:27 pm

I use sea foam in all mine . Never a problem . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:43 pm

I have an autumn machine maintenance day in october or november. Small engines that are rarely used get fuel dumped out (usually used in our old truck used around the farm; even if its mixed) so this includes spare chainsaw, weed whacker, boat motor, etc. and new fuel mixed or straight. 4 stroke machines get an oil change and maybe filter: push lawnmower, riding mower, tractors, 1/2 ton truck, atv, and generator. All machines are started up and run a few minutes. New gas is premium only on small machines w fuel stabilizer; mixed if required. Takes a whole day; never had an engine breakdown in 20 years.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:47 pm

the power just flickered here... better knock on wood!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:07 pm

well, i need electric start - preferably a push button....LOL. can't pull the chainsaw, anything with that pull start. the lawnmower just about killed me last time i went to mow (just before the MRI showed what was wrong). i was literally lying on the ground crying....waiting for the seized muscles to let go so i could breath again....only a week to go to the dr appointment. well, 9 days. actually 8 days 23 hours and 30 minutes....um. but who's counting....?

i sure hope our power doesn't go off, i'm due to lock down turkeys tonight for sunday...and have bad enough luck with those already, don't need any more help to mess those up!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:28 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST well, i need electric start - preferably a push button....LOL. can't pull the chainsaw, anything with that pull start. the lawnmower just about killed me last time i went to mow (just before the MRI showed what was wrong). i was literally lying on the ground crying....waiting for the seized muscles to let go so i could breath again....only a week to go to the dr appointment. well, 9 days. actually 8 days 23 hours and 30 minutes....um. but who's counting....?

i sure hope our power doesn't go off, i'm due to lock down turkeys tonight for sunday...and have bad enough luck with those already, don't need any more help to mess those up!
I think you need a person to walk with you (apparently 24/7) to slap you hard when you go to do dumb stuff. LIKE PULL START CORDS!!!

Fingers crossed for Doctor appointment. What's your best case scenario? Surgery?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:35 pm

You need one to hook up to receptacle at post & hook up to your tractor power take off ,Kathy or electric start at post . Runs everything . Just have to win lottery .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:44 pm

In the 1970's my dad had a lawnmower with a wind up spring on the starter. You unfolded the arm on top, did 3 or 4 full rotations, folded it back in and pushed button. It unwound and ran the engine a few times till it caught. My dad (who never did maintenance on a machine in his life) burned the motor after 12 years of heavy use. I wish I had it, even as an example of "neat o" old tech. Talk about good ideas they should bring back.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:59 pm

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST
WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST well, i need electric start - preferably a push button....LOL. can't pull the chainsaw, anything with that pull start. the lawnmower just about killed me last time i went to mow (just before the MRI showed what was wrong). i was literally lying on the ground crying....waiting for the seized muscles to let go so i could breath again....only a week to go to the dr appointment. well, 9 days. actually 8 days 23 hours and 30 minutes....um. but who's counting....?

I think you need a person to walk with you (apparently 24/7) to slap you hard when you go to do dumb stuff. LIKE PULL START CORDS!!!

Fingers crossed for Doctor appointment. What's your best case scenario? Surgery?
ha ha! in all fairness, this was last fall before i had even seen the doctor and gotten the MRI-it actually was one of the events that made me GO to the doctor....so.....i'm really not ALL that bad.
so, ross, if it's electric start and i need an outlet and the power is out, um.....LOL. gotta bug the hubby, i don't think he checked the ticket from last saturday! i could be an millionaire and not even know it! yeah, should probably get one of those battery backup things onto the incubator tonight with this apparently changing to snow over the night...hubby can get the generator going with the spray bottle of quick start....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”