Was only thinking about firing up the incubator and........

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST robbie, my last hatch: 3 unplanned power outages, a cat lying on top of the incubator blocking the ventilation holes AND humidity swings like crazy in the house and temperature swings in the house like crazy (-20 outside to +18) so the house varied from 16C to 27C depending on the woodstove...and something still hatched! oh, and those were the dark cornish birds from you-know-where. LOL. so don't give up!!!!
Oh dear!!! Funny how cats and Murphy are connected........ hhhmmm......
How's that chick doing? You will see that he grows very fast. (oops sorry Sandy here I go again) And now back to silkies! What no broodies YET?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:08 am

What no App for broodies . Go figure . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 am

Option: 1 Office supply places (Staples) sell a surge protector/UPS (uninterruptable power supply) rated for 350 watts (to run a sportsman) for 6 or 8 hours for $225 or so. They have a bunch of features including replaceable battery and self testing programs with 2 yr warranty. I think of Ontario Chick and the double Hovas she runs with a smaller UPS (hovas run 75 watts).

Option 2 is a bator that runs off 12 volts with deep cycle (marine) batteries and solar or trickle chargers. I am not an expert so there's a few more details here needed to figure this version out.
Last edited by baronrenfrew on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:57 am

Anybody keep a small Honda generator around for when home .? Luck

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:19 am

I have a honda clone myself (powerfist from PA) 3500 WATTS should do it! we havent had a power outtage here at the new house yet... old place was once a month year round. Pita it was! I kept it on the front deck fully loaded and ready to go. HAHA I only ever used it for the incubators LOL.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:34 am

oh, we have a generator. and power back ups....i used the power back up for a while, and then just never bothered to again. the generator i cannot get going, so if hubby isn't home when the power goes out, well, generator doesn't get fired up. honestly i was more worried about the cat incubating herself on the top, serving as insulation and blocking the vents lol

that one chick is still alive! woohoo. it's down in the basement pen with 3 other cornish, and 1 barred rock. all girls amazingly. yes, growing like mad. the oldest girl in there is ready to go outside for sure, fully feathered and about 2 pounds already, at 10 weeks i think. the second oldest is 8 weeks and almost feathered in and a little brick too. the barred rock and second youngest cornish are both still just feathered wings stage, only 3 weeks i think, and then little munchkin was just hatched on sunday, doesn't even have wing feathers yet, definitely a boy. surrounded by girls....lol.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:39 am

Yep Kathy that's why I mentions smaller Hondas just enough to run a few thinks & if kept serviced start every time . Easy pull but not sure with you situation which one would work . The little guy /booster mentioned earlier by baron sounds interesting till some one gets home . I have a 3500 Wallensein / Honda that i can pull the plug on my furnace & water pump & plug into it & away we go . Luck

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:41 am

We have a generator too, but that fellow Murphy will ensure that the power goes out when I'm either not here or in the middle of the night. Need a cold temperature alarm........ anyone know where to get one that you can set for incubator temperatures?

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:43 am

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Option: 1 Office supply places (Staples) sell a surge protector/UPS (uninterruptable power supply) rated for 350 watts (to run a sportsman) for 6 or 8 hours for $225 or so. They have a bunch of features including replaceable battery and self testing programs with 2 yr warranty. I think of Ontario Chick and the double Hovas she runs with a smaller UPS (hovas run 75 watts).

Option 2 is a bator that runs off 12 volts with deep cycle (marine) batteries and solar or trickle chargers. I am not an expert so there's a few more details here needed to figure this version out.
That back battery up is a good idea, I'll look into that. Darn we were at Staples yesterday, too- aarghh!

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST
WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST robbie, my last hatch: 3 unplanned power outages, a cat lying on top of the incubator blocking the ventilation holes AND humidity swings like crazy in the house and temperature swings in the house like crazy (-20 outside to +18) so the house varied from 16C to 27C depending on the woodstove...and something still hatched! oh, and those were the dark cornish birds from you-know-where. LOL. so don't give up!!!!
Oh dear!!! Funny how cats and Murphy are connected........ hhhmmm......
How's that chick doing? You will see that he grows very fast. (oops sorry Sandy here I go again) And now back to silkies! What no broodies YET?
Sssshhhhh!! You're going to jinx her

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”