When is lockdown for chicken eggs?

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Re: When is lockdown for chicken eggs?

Post by lolotsung » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:50 pm

So I'm kinda confused now about what the lockdown humidity should be. I did a spreadsheet and took an average of 60, 57.5 (between 55 and 60), 64 (between 63 and 65), and 54 and 59% is the magic number. I have a feeling that everyone has a different way of doing things and there is a bit of trial and error. I took off one of the red plastic things to let some humidity out and I have a straw in case I need to add more. I read this on the Brinsea website: "During hatching the humidity should be at least 60% RH, and in order to keep the humidity stable it is recommended to keep the lid on the incubator at all times. If the lid is lifted after a chick has hatched the humidity will immediately drop which could cause other chicks to become shrink wrapped." So we are trying to balance between death by drowning and death by being shrink wrapped and somewhere between the two, we have life :jumpy:
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: When is lockdown for chicken eggs?

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:01 am

Yes. SO much depends on the machine itself. Often it's trial and error to see what works for you. 60 is a good spot. A lot of people try to get the humidity as high as possible and end up drowning the chicks. This is due to a lot of instructions being incorrect. If you have a Brinsea you have a good machine. It's somewhere between science and art. ANd now we wait!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”