9 1/2 dozen eggs hatching! Silkies showgirls live streaming hatch

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

9 1/2 dozen eggs set! Silkies showgirls

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:18 am

In the past I've literally taken eggs from the fridge to make up numbers and they've been fine!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 am

NormaK wrote:QR_BBPOST
Fairsing farm wrote:QR_BBPOST Collecting a little over a dozen eggs a day now my next set date is April 11! Should have about 200 eggs or so! It feels like I'm a kid counting down to Christmas lol
I didn't know that eggs would be viable after that long a period?
Its all in how you store them. iv hatched eggs over a month old that all came out of the fridge. good hatch rate as well. this isnt how I usually store hatching eggs though. Right now I keep egg cartons inside a ziplock freezer bag to prevent any evaporation from the eggs and keep the air sac the same. I also store them in a stable cool spot.

hows the hatching going? fingers crossed for you!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Fairsing farm
On the Roost

Post by Fairsing farm » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:55 pm

NormaK wrote:QR_BBPOST
Fairsing farm wrote:QR_BBPOST Collecting a little over a dozen eggs a day now my next set date is April 11! Should have about 200 eggs or so! It feels like I'm a kid counting down to Christmas lol
Yes that is a little longer period of collection for me, I had no choice in this case as I was away in Florida for 10 days and didn't want anything hatching during that period. But yes I have had good success considering the age of some of my eggs.

I didn't know that eggs would be viable after that long a period?
Insurance broker/hobby farm enthusiast competes in cariage driving, breeder and exhibitor of silkies and showgirls in buff black cuckoo white, bantam white Cochins in smooth & frizzledd https://www.facebook.com/FairsingFarms/

Fairsing farm
On the Roost

Post by Fairsing farm » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Hatch is going great got the hatchers right to temp. We locked down last night so I imagine I will start seeing some action tomorrow sometime. I will keep you all posted! :iheartpto:
Insurance broker/hobby farm enthusiast competes in cariage driving, breeder and exhibitor of silkies and showgirls in buff black cuckoo white, bantam white Cochins in smooth & frizzledd https://www.facebook.com/FairsingFarms/

Fairsing farm
On the Roost

9 1/2 dozen eggs hatching! Silkies showgirls

Post by Fairsing farm » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:30 am

:banana: first two chicks out!!! A white and buff showgirl! It was music to my ears hearing the peeping coming from my incubator this morning. Dam it I have to go to work! Lol
Attachments
image.jpeg

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:05 am

6 weeks storage of hatching eggs? Lets pretend i'm a little slow and I need this spelled out. Eggs in a carton in ziploc bag in fridge. Tipped back and forth as well?

Fairsing farm: your storage secrets?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 am

I just flip the egg cartons inside the ziplock bag right over. they are inside my insulated garage so there is no big temp. swings. for now anyways... I want to make a hatching egg storage fridge of some sort.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:11 am

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST I just flip the egg cartons inside the ziplock bag right over. they are inside my insulated garage so there is no big temp. swings. for now anyways... I want to make a hatching egg storage fridge of some sort.
Al I know you didn't mean flip over right? Just side to side or end to end?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:14 am

ya I do... flip from top to bottom. should be fine... my logic always comes back to momma hen... they just knock em around unscientifically LOL.

Over easy HAHA... if I have any trouble hatching them then ill do it different next time. my last hatches from last year were all stored this way.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:20 am

Even under hen eggs stay pointed end down, always, since the nest is bowl shaped as the hen moves the eggs get rotated and tpped side to side, but not upside down that would interfere with the Air cell.
I am sorry for the hijack, I just don't want any newbies getting a wrong impression. :)

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”