Day 10 Candling Question

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Day 10 Candling Question

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri May 17, 2019 12:46 pm

At ten days the embryo can actually be more difficult to see than at 5 days, because the egg contents get kind of opaque and the little jellyfish with his blood vessels (also opaque) is now right in the middle of it. If he's swimming around in there, you can usually see that, but if he's not, it can look like a dead egg. In another 5 days, the shell will be thinner and the embryo darker and more solid, and it should be easier to see.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri May 17, 2019 3:33 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:46 pm
At ten days the embryo can actually be more difficult to see than at 5 days, because the egg contents get kind of opaque and the little jellyfish with his blood vessels (also opaque) is now right in the middle of it. If he's swimming around in there, you can usually see that, but if he's not, it can look like a dead egg. In another 5 days, the shell will be thinner and the embryo darker and more solid, and it should be easier to see.
Good info; thanks. I will make note of that for future incubation.
I am going to candle the 4 eggs again tonight because I'm pretty sure there is an egg with a blood ring, and I don't want any mishap in the incubator. Last night, 2 of them showed an increase in the air sac, so there is hope. If the 4th one is clear, I will discard it.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat May 18, 2019 11:58 am

News: I broke open the 4 questionable eggs. I am happy to say that I "called it", which leaves me sad to say that 2 of them were not fertilized, and the other 2 had blood rings, one of which had a tiny growth.
Well, I guess that's the luck of the draw.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat May 18, 2019 2:15 pm

I was looking at some eggs with my husband, candling them, that I had spent quite a bit of money on to buy. My husband wanted to see what a fertile egg looked like and when putting the egg back in the incubator dropped it and cracked it. We tried putting crazy glue on the crack but Unfortunatly that was the end of that chick. I didn't have many that were actually developing so baa humbug.
The joys of hatching eggs.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 pm

kenya wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:15 pm
I was looking at some eggs with my husband, candling them, that I had spent quite a bit of money on to buy. My husband wanted to see what a fertile egg looked like and when putting the egg back in the incubator dropped it and cracked it. We tried putting crazy glue on the crack but Unfortunatly that was the end of that chick. I didn't have many that were actually developing so baa humbug.
The joys of hatching eggs.
That is totally my worst fear when candling eggs. I go as far to candle them in place in the turner, so I don't have to pick them up. Sorry for your loss.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat May 18, 2019 3:25 pm

I have done that too. It was turkey eggs and I felt terrible about it!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun May 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:25 pm
I have done that too. It was turkey eggs and I felt terrible about it!
Oh no! I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”