Need help with incubator setup

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Need help with incubator setup

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:59 am

Jaye wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 pm
OMG! I candled tonight, but wasn't expecting much, due to my many newbie errors. I set 18, 5 of which were my Welsummer hen Biscuit's eggs. Biscuit couldn't stand Charlie, and let him know in no uncertain terms, so I am counting on them all being yolkers (I can't tell whether they are fertile or not because her eggs are pretty dark).
However, of the 5 Cilla eggs that I set, 4 are fertile, and the embryo is distinct, eye and all! Cilla is my Brabanter pullet.
All 4 of Memphis's eggs set are fertile. Unfortunately, Memphis lays torpedo shaped eggs, so the chicks may have trouble hatching. They will be blue Ameraucana_Brabanter chicks if they make it.
2 of 4 of Deanie's are fertile, 2 I'm not sure about, but the 2 confirmed fertile have air sacs too far down the side. :-My fault - I. didn't store them upright; they were in our egg skelter. Deanie is my olive egger.
I guess we need to get moving on building a growout coop.
AHHH!!!!! :stars: :stars: :stars: How terrifyingexciting! You have no idea how uncomfortable I am right now, crossing all fingers and toes, hoping that some of these hatch! I can't even imagine what you're going through. Wait, yes I can. Welcome to the slippery slope that is hatching 'important' eggs. The oven eggs were a test hatching: now you're in for the long haul ;) May the journey be kind to you! Oh, it would be so awesome if you got some more Brabanters out of this adventure!
I agree with @kenya; torpedo eggs hatch fine in my experience. I like to lock them down a day or two earlier *just in case*, because if you have high humidity in your house as I do here (rarely if ever under 55%) I feel it gives everyone a little better chance to be in the correct orientation at hatch time. If they're in the right position at the right time, torpedo eggs, round eggs and regular shaped eggs all hatch at the same rate.
A few days ago I posted that humidity in our area of eastern Ontario is almost always ridiculously high, and that wet hatches are more of a concern than shrinkwrapping: then today I remembered that Mr. Jaye has COPD, I think (?) and your house may be kept particularly dry. If that's the case, you may have to watch at hatch time more closely than most, but my advice still stands. Chicks that pip and start to get shrinkwrapped can be saved. Chicks that drown when they pip, or die of heart failure from the exertion of hatching, or get glued in from goop and you don't realize it, cannot.
It is NOT your fault that the air cells of Deanie's eggs are too far down the side. It's Deanie's :( . I'm afraid I have a couple hens that lay eggs with misplaced air cells regularly enough that I probably shouldn't breed those hens. It doesn't matter how soon you get those eggs fat end up--the air cell develops where it was always going to. No amount of time of upright storage will fix those air cells. If the cell isn't too far down, as incubation progresses and the air cell gets bigger, it *may* be good enough for chicks to hatch. Remember, a few of the brabanter eggs that Charlie and Cilla came from had the same problem. After all, left to their own devices, hens lay a clutch of eggs all left on their sides, for sometimes weeks. Air cells are either in their normal spot or they're not; barring trauma the cells don't shift much after the eggs are laid. There seems to be a genetic component to "side cells".
Jaye wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:17 pm

Okay, so here's how I scored on the points you listed:
1. I didn't really pay attention to the storage temperature of the eggs; they were sitting on the peninsula in the kitchen until I I made the spur of the moment decision to go for it (try to incubate some). I didn't start flipping them until then either. So, big fail on point #1.
Clearly you did fine :-) Most are fertile and developing, and those are the results that matter!
Jaye wrote:

2. I plugged in the incubator, then stuck a meat thermometer in the turner right under the heater/fan at egg level. I started panicking about the discrepancy between meat thermometer and incubator temperature. Tried calibrating the meat thermometer and got even wilder variation. DH installed some Arduino probes and I thought the incubator needed adjusting, so I did. Set the eggs once I thought things were stabilized. Two days later DH discovered that the probes were in fact inaccurate because of a coding error, so I reset the incubator temperature back to where it was. I bought a portable humidifier to try to raise what I thought was too low. When I went into the incubator room the following morning it was like walking into a rain forest. So, another fail on point #2.
Oh dear. People like you and I (and a few others on this forum *cough* @Killerbunny *cough* get, um, very invested in our poultry and our eggs. Some may say TOO invested, and they're probably right, but f*** those people :rofl: . My oldest son is an electrical engineer, and I've had to MIGHTILY resist asking him to "tweak" things. He's offered, and I've bounced some ideas off him, but decided that I'm too old to go down the innovation road if what I'm doing is working just fine. An arduino board is a slippery slope of a different kind--so many possibilities! I get excited just thinking about it, but then I catch myself--what the heck would I do if I had a higher hatch rate? Set fewer eggs??!!?? NAWWWWW. That way there be dragons. roflmbo
Jaye wrote:
3. Well, I actually did all right on the hand washing
- with a couple of minor infractions. I rate them minor because my hands had been recently washed, but I hadn't remembered to use hand sanitizer before moving the eggs around inside the incubator. So, I would say that I passed hand sanitation.
No big deal. I usually wash my hands before handling my eggs because if I don't do it regularly, I notice in a few days. I start getting "quitters". Hand SANITIZER like Purel is NOT a substitute or alternative for hand washing, and can hurt your eggs. It has perfumes and moisturizers that eggs don't like, anymore than germs and skin oils. There are certain things that developing chicken eggs distinctly don't like...oils from cat and dog fur, human 'bathroom' germs (you know the ones I'm talking about, the poopy ones) but otherwise they're pretty tough. If you regularly pet your dog and then go turn your eggs by hand afterwards without washing first, or drive home from work after you've touched your steering wheel for an hour, and don't wash first, you're eventually going to see eggs quit.
I'd say you pass with flying colours though. I've met you several times. You shower much more often than I do roflmbo
Jaye wrote:
4. I get a passing grade in the checking temperature often department, if 2-3 times a day is considered often. So far I have only candled once, but really want to try to see something in Biscuit's eggs tonight. I am beginning to get how this can become an obsession. 😏
Yep, that's often enough if the incubator co-operates! An oil lamp as a heater is not so forgiving, and up until fairly recently I was checking temps up to 20 times a day and night. I'm down to 3 times in a 24 hour period. I can peek at temperature, turn my eggs and walk away for hours at a time now. (speaking of which, eggs do not benefit from being turned 20 times a day as opposed to two or three. Not at all.) Though, I may have had an addiction problem from which I am now recovered roflmbo OK, I might be a little OCD/addictive personality, but now I check and turn my eggs only once or twice a day. They're fine with that, so, so am I.
Jaye wrote:
5. Yes, I did hatch chicks in an oven, and one even made it to being a big healthy regular egg laying hen. But Gracie did all the heavy lifting - I just came in at the end after she was forced to quit. It was only four days of nail biting and OCD temperature checking and adjusting for me. But I get what you're saying: in spite of all my missteps, I may actually have some success!
P.S., @windwalkingwolf , you need to write a book; I so enjoy reading all your posts.
I'm feeling it right along with you. I know the thrill of success and the sorrow of dead chicks. Every failed egg is a heartbreak. Every one that hatches is encouragement to try again.
No, writing a book is SO NOT not in my immediate future. Writing is just as gut wrenching as hatching!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:43 am

@windwalkingwolf at least you didn't have 4 thermocouples at different spots in the incubator at one point (or did you). DH was wondering where his meters were! And yes arduinos were mentioned here too!
And let's not leave @Ontario Chick out of the OCD brigade when it comes to birds!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Am I looking at an early quitter?
IMG_20190424_212920.jpg
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:21 am

Sure looks like it.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:25 am

That's what I was afraid of. :-(
Well, it serves me right for using hand sanitizer.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:58 am

Often they quit for no good reason. Even under broodies.
Mutt chickens for eggs

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 am

@Killerbunny , no, no thermocouples. Though for about a month after I got the cheapie weather station thermometer off e-bay, I checked it's temperature accuracy with just about every thermometer known to man, and a wet bulb hygrometer jury-rigged from a baby thermometer. The only thing I didn't do was point an infrared thermometer at the incubator, because I had heard their accuracy was sketchy :-/
@Jaye yes, that egg is pooched :( It will turn into a rotten egg bomb if you leave it in.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:14 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:59 am
[…]Oh, it would be so awesome if you got some more Brabanters out of this adventure!
I know, right? And even more awesome if they turn out to be Brabanter pullets.
windwalkingwolf wrote:
I agree with @kenya; torpedo eggs hatch fine in my experience. I like to lock them down a day or two earlier *just in case*, because if you have high humidity in your house as I do here (rarely if ever under 55%) I feel it gives everyone a little better chance to be in the correct orientation at hatch time. If they're in the right position at the right time, torpedo eggs, round eggs and regular shaped eggs all hatch at the same rate.
Good to know. Humidity in our house at this time of year is between 30-50%, mostly in the 40-45% range, so I don’t think high humidity will be an issue. Fingers crossed.
I’ll go into lockdown on Day 17 anyway, just for a little extra insurance. Those torpedo eggs seem to be developing faster than the others … two of them have larger, more active little bloops floating around in them. 
windwalkingwolf wrote:
A few days ago I posted that humidity in our area of eastern Ontario is almost always ridiculously high, and that wet hatches are more of a concern than shrinkwrapping: then today I remembered that Mr. Jaye has COPD, I think (?) and your house may be kept particularly dry. If that's the case, you may have to watch at hatch time more closely than most, but my advice still stands. Chicks that pip and start to get shrinkwrapped can be saved. Chicks that drown when they pip, or die of heart failure from the exertion of hatching, or get glued in from goop and you don't realize it, cannot.
Yes, DH has COPD, and our house is really dry in the winter, so while it helps DH, my hair turns fly-away and full of static as soon as I walk through the door and take my coat off. Even with a kettle of water sitting on the pellet stove, and especially when we forget to refill it. Since we now have a portable humidifier, hopefully next winter will be better. 
windwalkingwolf wrote:
It is NOT your fault that the air cells of Deanie's eggs are too far down the side. It's Deanie's :( . I'm afraid I have a couple hens that lay eggs with misplaced air cells regularly enough that I probably shouldn't breed those hens. It doesn't matter how soon you get those eggs fat end up--the air cell develops where it was always going to. No amount of time of upright storage will fix those air cells. If the cell isn't too far down, as incubation progresses and the air cell gets bigger, it *may* be good enough for chicks to hatch. Remember, a few of the brabanter eggs that Charlie and Cilla came from had the same problem. […] There seems to be a genetic component to "side cells".
Oh yeah … I had forgotten about the wonky air sacs on a couple of those Brabanter eggs. A Deanie/Charlie mix would be interesting, I think, but I won’t count on a successful hatch on those two eggs.
windwalkingwolf wrote:
Clearly you did fine :-) Most are fertile and developing, and those are the results that matter!
I’m actually relieved/surprised that there are fertile developing eggs, considering that the temperature was too high for at least two days, and then my hand sanitizing faux pas. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the first two days the eggs weren’t being turned. I started getting suspicious that the egg turner was faulty because it always seemed to be in the same spot every time I went to check temperature. Thankfully, I had a spare turner, so switched it out on day 3. I tested the first egg turner out on the counter and sure enough, the motor was running but it wasn’t moving the trays. I plan to get a replacement motor for it, just in case my good turner decides to quit.
windwalkingwolf wrote:
Oh dear. People like you and I (and a few others on this forum *cough* @Killerbunny *cough* get, um, very invested in our poultry and our eggs. Some may say TOO invested, and they're probably right, but f*** those people :rofl: . My oldest son is an electrical engineer, and I've had to MIGHTILY resist asking him to "tweak" things. He's offered, and I've bounced some ideas off him, but decided that I'm too old to go down the innovation road if what I'm doing is working just fine. An arduino board is a slippery slope of a different kind--so many possibilities! I get excited just thinking about it, but then I catch myself--what the heck would I do if I had a higher hatch rate? Set fewer eggs??!!?? NAWWWWW. That way there be dragons. roflmbo
It’s true, lots of possibilities when it comes to Arduino, but I know what you mean about “why innovate if you have something that works”. Because sometimes Technology fails too. Besides, I like some “hands on”, it’s a fun part of the poultry experience. 
windwalkingwolf wrote:

No big deal. I usually wash my hands before handling my eggs because if I don't do it regularly, I notice in a few days. I start getting "quitters". Hand SANITIZER like Purel is NOT a substitute or alternative for hand washing, and can hurt your eggs. It has perfumes and moisturizers that eggs don't like, anymore than germs and skin oils. There are certain things that developing chicken eggs distinctly don't like...oils from cat and dog fur, human 'bathroom' germs (you know the ones I'm talking about, the poopy ones) but otherwise they're pretty tough. If you regularly pet your dog and then go turn your eggs by hand afterwards without washing first, or drive home from work after you've touched your steering wheel for an hour, and don't wash first, you're eventually going to see eggs quit. […]
Oh cr*p. The one thing I thought I was doing right … okay, no more sanitizer anywhere near the eggs. I’m pretty sure I have not gone in to check on eggs without washing my hands first, so that’s something at least.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:36 pm

I had one silkie refuse to get off the nest to even poop , when I looked her eggs were covered in poop and I mean hard to even see the eggs for poop. I was mad at myself for not checking sooner and mad at the silly hen for not getting off the nest to poop. I had put food and water right up close as I did notice she wasn't moving but I did think she would at least get away a little bit to poop. Well anyway I took those eggs in the house washed all the poop off, yes horror of horrors I WASHED them, I didn't expect any to hatch after that but I put them back under her and a week later 9 healthy chicks hatched out of 10 eggs. When I checked the last egg it wasn't fertile.
Sometimes they just want to hatch sometimes not.
By the way I do not suggest using poopy eggs.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:42 pm

@Jaye I swear turkeys lay eggs in mud and then play football with them. They hatch some too. I don't think it was you.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”