Incubating Shipped Eggs in an Egg Carton

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Incubating Shipped Eggs in an Egg Carton

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:53 pm

Hello there,

I'm getting some shipped eggs in 2 weeks. I'd like to get a reasonable hatch rate and have been doing some research on incubating in egg cartons. Has any one here tried it and how did you make out with number of hatched?

From what I understand, you leave your eggs for 12 to 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. Put them in the incubator in the egg carton and don't touch them at all for 7 days. Then candle see what you have, then start to turn them. Which, from what i can figure out, is to lean them from one side of the egg cup to the other. So about a 65 degree tilt.

Any input would be great!

Cheers Karen and thanks

kenya
Henny Penny

Re: Incubating Shipped Eggs in an Egg Carton

Post by kenya » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:17 pm

You still have to turn them by tipping the carton, leaving them unturned would be a disaster.
I have done it in cartons as for a while it was all the rage, supposedly to keep the incubator cleaner. I found I had problems with chicks turned the wrong way and unable to hatch. I wouldn't do it again , just my expérience but a number of my friends had the same problem.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 am

How are the eggs going to be shipped? From where? Are they coming from an experienced shipper?

After letting the shipped eggs rest for 24 hours, candle to check for any problems, and proceed as any other hatching eggs.

The hatch rate from shipped eggs depending on mode of transport, packaging and time of year will be lower.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Best hatch would be a broody if you have one.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm

kenya wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:36 pm
Best hatch would be a broody if you have one.
:iagree:
less chance for humans to over think the whole thing... ;)

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:33 am

Thanks, they are coming from Alberta. There will be a dz eggs and I added a heat pack. They will be shipped on Monday March 4. They are standard size birds, and my faithful little Cochin Banty is the only one broody at the moment in my standard coop. I have a couple of incubators so I'll incubate in the one where the eggs are more upright ....hopefully it will help the air sacs.

Has anyone not touched the eggs for 7 days, no turning nothing, and had any luck hatching.?

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:08 pm

The first 7 days are very important to ensure the embryeo does't stick to the side. I wouldn't chance it, especially with shipped eggs that you bought. Try it with your own first, be interested to see what happens but I would think a lot of problems.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:21 pm

kenya wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:08 pm
The first 7 days are very important to ensure the embryeo does't stick to the side. I wouldn't chance it, especially with shipped eggs that you bought. Try it with your own first, be interested to see what happens but I would think a lot of problems.
:iagree: . Leaving eggs for seven days without moving them just wouldn't happen the natural way (a hen would be moving them about regularly when she's sitting on a clutch), so I think it would be risky and counter-productive if you were to leave them untouched for the first 7 days.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:56 pm

Jaye wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:21 pm
kenya wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:08 pm
:iagree: . Leaving eggs for seven days without moving them just wouldn't happen the natural way (a hen would be moving them about regularly when she's sitting on a clutch), so I think it would be risky and counter-productive if you were to leave them untouched for the first 7 days.
I agree, however, there was information I was reading about getting the best results from shipped eggs. I thought I would ask this group. You all have been at this longer than I have and you can't trust everything you read on the internet...might just be .....wait for it....Fake News!Thanks

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Keep us posted!

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”