Classroom hatching?

kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Classroom hatching?

Post by kdms » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:12 pm

My kids school has the life cycle of the chicken coming up soon in the grade two/three class scheduled topics, and they're supposed to get an incubator and hatch out some chicks as part of their studies. However, the school is privately funded and our dollar has crashed and burned so bad that the incubator they were going to buy out of the US is now too expensive.

I was wondering if anyone within a two hour drive of Ottawa might have a fully automated incubator they'd be willing to lend (or rent?) to help these city kids learn about chickens. We're interested in donating some fertile eggs from our own little flock, and thought it would be really cool for the kids if they were exposed to the different breeds -- especially as most of them have never seen any colour of egg shell other than white and (maybe) brown, so we'd also be interested in buying single or pairs of hatching eggs from a variety of sources to show them the diversity available.

Just to be clear...this isn't a class of 30 kids and one teacher; the entire school consists of 24 kids, 8 of whom are under 3yo, so all the kids are supervised at all times. The risk of damage to the incubator is low, and we're willing to offer surety against damage in any case.

Anyone up for an educational cause? :fingersx: :jumpy:

thanks! Karen

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Classroom hatching?

Post by Chicken Ninja » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Signal boosting in hopes someone closer to you can help!!
"So please ask yourself: What I would do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it." Sheryl Sandberg

Co-President of U of Guelph's Poultry Club
Proud to be called a chicken

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Classroom hatching?

Post by JimW » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:51 pm

kdms,

I totally missed this thread. Are you still looking for incubator?

I am 10 minutes from Smiths Falls. I have an extra Hovabator incubator with auto-turner, I could probably lend out, if we can figure out timing, someone else wants to borrow it for their classroom as well and I will need it later in spring.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Classroom hatching?

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:20 pm

I jumped in with an offer she took (i'm a sucker for a damsel in distress). Sending a hova and a mix of chicken eggs.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”