Question the vent plug issue

KimChick
Head Chicken

the vent plug issue

Post by KimChick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:58 am

Heading into Lockdown in a day or two.
The questions is: When should I open the vent in the top of the (Hova-bator 1588 with turner) incubator?
As per PTO Sticky instructions, it says"Unobstructed ventilation holes, both above and below the eggs are essential for proper air exchange. ...... The air vents should be almost fully open during the latter stages of hatching."
This is what I have been doing so far:
- shuffling eggs on the turner almost daily, thus allowing in fresh air.
- adding water in troughs 3 & 4, as needed, to maintain H in the 40's for first week, 50's thereafter.
- quickly spot candling during shuffle, except the 2 times I candled all; air sacs seem properly sized.
So, do I open the vent at Lockdown, or at first sign of hatching?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: the vent plug issue

Post by WLLady » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:59 am

i opened mine once the majority were zipped and hatched otherwise i had shrinkwrapping issues....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:12 pm

It really is a huge relief to learn that chickens don't get vent plugs that have to be dealt with :).

Sorry about that, but I'm bathing a chicken every day because she has vent gleet.....

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 pm

LOL. OMG that is exactly what i thought when i read the subject but then i held back LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Je m'excuse. The title should be the incubator vent plug, not to be confused with a plugged vent, although the incubator vent is plugged but only with masking tape, at this point. And it is an issue because, now that I have my "new to me" incubator, I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER DISMAL FAILURE!!!
Aaaaaannnd, this thread is in the topic of Incubating and Hatching! Sheesh!!!! :rofl:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:24 pm

labradors wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:12 pm
It really is a huge relief to learn that chickens don't get vent plugs that have to be dealt with :).

Sorry about that, but I'm bathing a chicken every day because she has vent gleet.....

Linda
Have you tried administering an antifungal? It's worked for a couple of my hens when they had vent gleet. I can find the particulars if you are interested in trying it.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm sorry to hijack your thread KimChick.

I am bathing, drying, and putting Canesten into the vent and smearing a little around. Hope that is correct.

Linda

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: the incubator vent plug issue

Post by KimChick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:39 pm

That's OK, Linda. I hope I never have to deal with what you are dealing with.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Just ending Day 21 of incubation, into the hatch. So far, 1 has hatched (woohoo!!!) and six more, that I can see, have pipped.
So... with the fan circulating, H at around 68%, should I still keep the air vent covered?
From what I have read, the most important thing is to keep air circulating, as in fresh air in and out, and steady humidity.
Does that mean uncover the air vent half way? Keep it covered until all have hatched?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:43 pm

2 hrs later, another one hatched. Boy, the first chick, being alone for 2 hrs. was really interested in the second egg hatching. Now the other eggs are getting jostled around with their activity.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”