Using my "new" incubator

KimChick
Head Chicken

Using my "new" incubator

Post by KimChick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:08 pm

So, because I am really adverse to having a second total screw up, I have a question to ask.
This incubator I now have is a Hova-bator 1588 and has an egg turner. The Hova-bator instructions do not specify anything re: humidity.
How essential is the red vent plug for the first 17 days, as per Hova-bator instructions? My machine did not come with one, and the previous owner did not have it either.
Plus, I have decided to try Humidity at 35-45% until lockdown, as someone suggested a few months ago.
Anymore advice is welcome!
Of course, at this point, who knows how many eggs are fertile?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Using my "new" incubator

Post by WLLady » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:17 pm

you can plug the hole with a piece of scotch tape for the first 15-16 days if you find you can't keep it humid enough inside. I always left the plug in on mine and then opened it as the chicks were drying off when the humidity spiked at hatching.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 pm

http://www.gqfmfg.com/hova-bator-instructions

Just a general comment, in high humidity area like ours, it's very hard to keep the incubator humidity low enough, even with the red plug removed.
Air conditioning or a dehumidifier is helpful In lowering ambient humidity .

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 pm

@KimChick just a suggestion. If you are unsure of fertility with your eggs why not see if you can get a dozen fertilized from someone else and put 1/2 yours and 1/2 theirs in? That way at least as you are trying out and getting used to your incubator you can be sure-er (lol) that you are starting with fertile eggs. My first test run on my incubator started with 30 something eggs and because I didn't really know what I was looking for as I candled I only ended up with 2 chicks. The bulk of my eggs weren't fertilized. My only other advice to you is this: any egg that doesn't end up being a live chick after 21 days is sad and it can feel like a failure BUT you must remember that egg would have been breakfast if not placed in that incubator. I'm not trying to dismiss a lost life but it can weigh heavily if you feel you've done something wrong and the reality is that you gave that egg a chance to be more than food and if it didn't work out it's ok.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 pm
http://www.gqfmfg.com/hova-bator-instructions

Just a general comment, in high humidity area like ours, it's very hard to keep the incubator humidity low enough, even with the red plug removed.
Air conditioning or a dehumidifier is helpful In lowering ambient humidity .
Interesting. I have had to add water at least 3 times, as the humidity decreases from 45%. Yes, I have those documents already.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Happy wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 pm
@KimChick just a suggestion. If you are unsure of fertility with your eggs why not see if you can get a dozen fertilized from someone else and put 1/2 yours and 1/2 theirs in? That way at least as you are trying out and getting used to your incubator you can be sure-er (lol) that you are starting with fertile eggs. My first test run on my incubator started with 30 something eggs and because I didn't really know what I was looking for as I candled I only ended up with 2 chicks. The bulk of my eggs weren't fertilized. My only other advice to you is this: any egg that doesn't end up being a live chick after 21 days is sad and it can feel like a failure BUT you must remember that egg would have been breakfast if not placed in that incubator. I'm not trying to dismiss a lost life but it can weigh heavily if you feel you've done something wrong and the reality is that you gave that egg a chance to be more than food and if it didn't work out it's ok.
Thanks, Happy. I was pretty much right last time in potentially having a 3/20 hatch; it was the last couple of days that I wrecked. So, maybe I will have 3/15 this time. We'll see. I do think the candling last time went fairly well. Practise, practise, practise!
And right now, I'm taking the least expensive route.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:32 pm

WLLady wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:17 pm
you can plug the hole with a piece of scotch tape for the first 15-16 days if you find you can't keep it humid enough inside. I always left the plug in on mine and then opened it as the chicks were drying off when the humidity spiked at hatching.
I think I will try that and see how it goes.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:20 am

If you really want to get a plug for it, Berry Hill sells them.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Shnookie wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:20 am
If you really want to get a plug for it, Berry Hill sells them.
Thanks, Shnookie, I'll make note of that and will get one if I really feel the need for it after this hatch.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”