Hi, my name is Jan...

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Hi, my name is Jan...

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri May 18, 2018 11:04 pm

...and I'm a hatching addict. Still firmly in the denial stage though, I think...I've got three 40 egg incubators in the house, none of which I actually own (THANKS enablers, you know who you are ;) ) Often I have two running, one as an incubator and one as a hatcher, and they're usually both running a lot of the time, ever since someone was silly enough to lend me one to add to the one I have from someone who wanted me to troubleshoot his Tractor Supply special (nothing wrong with it, it was operator error). This time of year I incubate all types of eggs together and do staggered hatches since chickens, ducks, turkeys, muscovies (still waiting to find eggs from those girls) and geese won't co-ordinate their laying schedules and I never know when the well will run dry or someone will go broody.
But for right now, I just have ONE running. So it's not a problem, right? Never mind that the ONE is packed solid with eggs I don't need...18 Bronze turkey eggs total I got in trade for hatching out some Sebastopol geese for a friend, due to hatch next week and the week after; 10 Buff Orpington duck eggs that were calling my name at the Lombardy sale (WHY? WHY? I don't want ducks except for the Magpies!!!), due at the same time as the second batch of turkey eggs; 5 Magpie eggs, and three Embden eggs.
I really didn't need to put the goose eggs in, because the geese went very broody on the same day and I had to give them back some of their eggs anyway, but decided to do some myself "just in case"...and the Magpies were probably silly to put in too, since my (lone) Mama duck is a laying machine, and is now showing signs of going broody on the clutch I've allowed her to build up.
I say it was silly to put those eggs in, because they're taking up space I should be using for layers, Giants and project birds. But not really. I have a couple dozen cull hens I have to freezer first to make room. But I REALLY should be hatching chickens. But not really. :decision: I've got two broodies out with chicks in tow, one sitting eggs and 3 more showing signs of going down, but I've got a bunch of eggs I ABSOLUTELY NEED to set myself for some reason, and the pile is growing daily while I rob the hens of their treasures and chance to hatch out 10 chicks all by themselves with no help from me.
But, I'm not an addict, because I've only got one incubator full roflmbo
I am mightily withstanding the urge to fill the manky old incubator (the first "loaner", now very well seasoned) that I use as a hatcher, as a second incubator. I am also sticking firm to my resolve to wash and return the fabulous still-air one that a kind member lent me last year. It's unplugged and on top of the box just in case my resolve weakens, I can look at it and go NOPE, it's gotta go back to the owner. I refuse to do staggered hatches all in the same unit anymore, because it can make a huge mess all over eggs that sometimes haven't been in there very long. I use the word, "refuse", lightly. Those chicken eggs are calling my name. That is, if I don't find a muscovy nest first.
I find myself counting days, hours, seconds, knowing I have to wait until the 23rd-ish for the first batch of turkeys to hatch out, before I start more eggs.
I blame my parents, for handing down to me a genetic predisposition to addiction :rofl:
Last edited by windwalkingwolf on Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Hi, my name is Jan...

Post by ross » Fri May 18, 2018 11:24 pm

JUST SAY NO ....🌲
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat May 19, 2018 12:07 am

ross wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:24 pm
JUST SAY NO ....🌲
I am. At least I'm not doing this anymore:
doublestackedeggs.jpg
those are turkey eggs, hatching, stacked two deep, in a cake pan, over a kerosene lamp.
I'm not less addicted, or obsessive, just more mainstream slash socially acceptable. But still fighting it, it's just an old problem with a new face roflmbo
I can wait a bit. Despite past experiences where I would lose a hen, panic, and hatch EVERYTHING available to me, now I feel I have enough birds to relax a *little* roflmbo but I'm now on a never-ending quest for the birds I WANT, which requires hatching more eggs. It's a vicious cycle :dance:

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 am

There is another level to this, you know? At least you are not talking about a several generation plan to create a breed from scratch. Takes several hundred birds to get the right one.
:run:
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat May 19, 2018 5:06 am

And years Martin 🐓
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 am

OK - not that I'm admitting anything but I'll be by very soon to pick up the hatcher that I'm not admitting I lent you!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:32 pm

I support you, Jan. My name is Wendy and I MAY be a hatchoholic too. I do have two little incubators sitting unplugged and empty beside the 600 egg one that is pretty much full. I have twenty 5-6 wk olds in a tractor out on grass, 150 2-3 wk olds in the big brooder shed. A couple dozen in a big aquarium in the living room with a rabbit cage of baby quail beside it. I have 5 dozen eggs on the dinning room table to put in the incubator tomorrow. Life is good :-D

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat May 19, 2018 6:56 pm

...turkey eggs in a cake pan over a kerosene lamp? that worked? wow!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:18 pm

I feel yer pane. You are not alone.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat May 19, 2018 9:00 pm

poultry_admin wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 am
There is another level to this, you know? At least you are not talking about a several generation plan to create a breed from scratch. Takes several hundred birds to get the right one.
:run:
Ummmm....no. No, I'm not talking about that. Not because I'm not DOING it, I just don't want to talk about it roflmbo
baronrenfrew wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:56 pm
...turkey eggs in a cake pan over a kerosene lamp? that worked? wow!
Oh yes, it worked. I was off-grid, and one time, needed an emergency solution to finish incubating eggs when the mother was snatched off her nest. It worked so well, I ran that lamp 24/7/365. I hatched a LOT of birds that way. I have grid hydro for now, but still keep a jug of kerosene around...just in case :rofl:
Farrier1987 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:18 pm
I feel yer pane. You are not alone.
I'm so glad. I feel very much alone, fondling my eggs every night. (I still turn by hand like a cavewoman)
goatgal35 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:32 pm
I support you, Jan. My name is Wendy and I MAY be a hatchoholic too. I do have two little incubators sitting unplugged and empty beside the 600 egg one that is pretty much full. I have twenty 5-6 wk olds in a tractor out on grass, 150 2-3 wk olds in the big brooder shed. A couple dozen in a big aquarium in the living room with a rabbit cage of baby quail beside it. I have 5 dozen eggs on the dinning room table to put in the incubator tomorrow. Life is good :-D
MWAHAHAHA, hatchaholics, unite! We will seed the world with our chickens!Solidarity forever! :sSig_number1:
Killerbunny wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 am
OK - not that I'm admitting anything but I'll be by very soon to pick up the hatcher that I'm not admitting I lent you!
Please hurry. No, wait, don't. Ok, yes, take it. No wait... YES. HURRY, I'm cracking roflmbo :decision:
Seriously though, no worries. Just let me know and I'll have it clean and actually boxed up instead of just sitting ON the box, staring at me, begging for eggs. Your turkeys are much more important than my scatterbrained obsessing!!! And thank you once again for the use of the two incubators. The forced-air one is a peach, I haven't had to dick with it at ALL! Every egg I moved into it to empty your 'hatcher' is still humming away, and it's so much more stable than the model I have that has the same element (wrapped wire), but with crappy digital controls and no fan. That one has done me well, but is currently the hatcher so I can keep your machines clean(er) :-)
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”