The Final Results

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: The Final Results

Post by KimChick » Wed May 02, 2018 11:37 am

kenya wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:42 am
You will have problems if you let 2 hens together try and hatch out your eggs together. They will fight over the eggs and break them, or push some out of the nest letting them get cold. Separate them and let each hatch out their eggs alone. I know some people have been lucky using 2 hens but in my experience it never works.
No, they would not be together. I would just have to identify which one is the broody one at the moment. I do know that they are the Frey's Special Dual Purpose hens. So they won't be going into the soup pot as soon as I thought.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed May 02, 2018 11:43 am

WLLady wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:04 am
i've never had luck with 2 hens either...but several times i've had good hatches with one good dedicated broody. So looks like the temp is the issue....so i wouldn't lose hope. when you put the eggs in can you tape your thermometer to a piece of cardboard or something and lay it right on top of the eggs? that way you will know what the temp is at the top of the eggs. i have one of those thermometers that is attached to a clear tough sheet of plastic that i can put on top of the eggs. it's really handy. then calibrate the temp at the top of the eggs.
since you had a bunch give up really early then those likely quite in the first week, and might not have made it anyways..but the 3 that almost made it - were they in a particular spot in the incubator? if they were further away from the heater coil, or closer to the vents that could give you a clue.....if they were furthest from the heater they would have likely had a different temp than the ones closer to the heater....
if they were closest to the vents they might have had better air exchange....
did you check to see if they had managed to get their beaks into the air sacs? i remember that they didn't pip.....were they turned so their heads were under their wing? was the navel closed? all of those things will give clues to when they died in shell.
Firstly, I did not identify where they were in relation to the heater coil because when turning, I moved them around. When I broke the eggs open, I did not examine any; I just looked for general development. Next time, if needed, I would most likely take a more examining look at any unhatched eggs. For me, it's "baby steps".

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed May 02, 2018 12:01 pm

no worries...just curious. :-) next time will work i'm sure of it.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 pm

WLLady wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:01 pm
no worries...just curious. :-) next time will work i'm sure of it.....
From your questions, I do have a lot more to learn! So I can say, "I'm on the learning curve."

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”