Week 3 Expectations

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Week 3 Expectations

Post by KimChick » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:27 pm
Could the "leak" be a pip hole that fluid is leaking out of?
That was my first thought, and then nothing else has happened.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:55 pm
This has happened to me in the past and I suspect all of us. If it doesn't work out you can learn a lot from the unhatched chicks. Not a fun job but useful. If it was a temp spike you will likely see they all quit around the same time.
Can you very quickly sneak an egg out and candle it? It will be very obvious if it is still alive. If it is ready to hatch the beak will be in the airsac.
Chickens illustrated embryonic life cycle
This is embryonic cycle info.
Yes, I can do that tonight. Before I lift the lid, I will have to pick the one to candle, one that doesn't have a "?" on it.
And thanks, I have the embryonic cycle saved.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:32 pm

kenya wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:48 pm
Well I have never had any luck with this type of incubator. Don't give up, just get a different incubator.
I admit, I have had that thought.
I know when I hand it back, I will get, "What? You didn't have RH at 60%? That has always worked for me and the other person who borrows it." But then I will say, "The average temperature above the eggs was 102.5F, with the thermometer on the screen reading a steady 101F; it was too hot for my standard size eggs."
Last edited by KimChick on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am

so i would take a couple and candle. at this point they should be totally black except for the air sac at the blunt end. Also rock the egg back and forth a couple of times, does it feel heavy on one end but not "slosh". if it sloshes it's done and bad. if it's heavy but doesn't "slosh" it likely has a chick inside. Next, put the egg up to your ear like your are listening at a seashell. if you hear knocking very faintly the chick is alive. if you do not, it is likely not alive. if you hear crackling (it sounds like bacon grease in a hot frying pan) the egg is bad and full of bacteria. a chick breathing or trying to pip sounds like someone knocking on a door very very far away.....a steady tempo of 2-3 knocks and then a break.
you likely will not see any movement at this point. because the chicks are opaque to the light.

if you hear nothing, and if the eggs don't "slosh" and aren't knocking, choose one and crack it open on the blunt end. make a little hole and look in. if water comes pouring out, they are likely drowned. if there's no free flowing water, take a look and see if you can see a beak, is the beak moving? is it in the air sac? (you may need to carefully open a window about the size of a dime to do this). if the chick is moving and the beak is in the air sac drip a tiny bit of warm water onto the membranes and put it back into the incubator. if there is no movement then likely the chick is dead. at this point since it's almost 4 days over, i would open one and take a look. if you post photos we can help out too if they're dead....to help.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:19 pm

Thank-you WLLady. I copied, pasted, and printed all that for reference when I check the eggs.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:35 am

I'm still hopeful some hatch for you. My current batch has been working at it since Tuesday. This is THE most drawn-out hatch I have ever experienced! Eggs hatching 12 or even 24 hours apart, and I KNOW it wasn't the incubator in my case. Current count is 5 1/2 chicks lol. Five out running around, and one is half-unzipped at the WRONG end of the egg, but I figure if he has room to unzip that far, he'll probably hatch just fine. You have to be a tough chick to break through the wrong end of an egg fast enough to not suffocate, and STRONG to turn to unzip the shell with no head room. Even so, I'm not counting six chicks just yet.
I pitched out 5 eggs with fully developed chicks in them, that were dead. Two had too much fluid under the membrane, one had a chick so huge and swollen I don't know how he even fit in there, likely died of heart failure, but the other two looked absolutely perfect, drawing in the yolk sac, in proper position to hatch, and just dead :( .

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks for your support WWW, but when I checked them last night, as per WWLady's post above, I did not see or hear any movement from within. Today, I broke them open; there was no movement in the three developed chicks.
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the staggered hatch and the dead chicks. I wonder if this crazy Spring weather has any affect on them.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:56 pm

so what did they look like inside kimchick?
did you by chance take any photos? i'm sorry they didn't hatch. that sucks.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 pm

WLLady wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:56 pm
so what did they look like inside kimchick?
did you by chance take any photos? i'm sorry they didn't hatch. that sucks.
No photos. Three of them looked fully formed, taking up the space in the shell. Two others were about 2/3 as large. The other 15 were either not fertilized or did not form well.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”