Results are in

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Results are in

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 am

19 chicks hatched out of 35 eggs at lockdown
A few of the eggs that didn’t hatch looked like they stopped developing since lockdown
A few had liquid outside membrane
14 had fully formed chicks that just didn’t hatch!
I tried to keep humidity somewhat regulated (Thanks @k@Kbr42 for the recommendation on humidity reader. The one I got is tested to within 1 degree accuracy. I also tested it on counter under wet towel. Thanks for that info Martin)
Also thanks to Kathy for her ideas into my poor hatches previously
Once chicks started hatching I had trouble trying to keep humidity from spiking. I tried opening both vents When it really spiked I had to open lid. Worse was 99% when I woke up one morning!!
It’s the styrofoam incubator with fan
Does anyone have any info why so many chicks made it to end but didn’t pip
I’m still very happy with my hatch because it is the best for me ever!
I attribute most of that to my personal coach who wishes to remain anonymous. Lol
Thanks She’s one that is always so busy on the farm and also drives bus and babysits grands and. And. And
But I’m not to mention her name 😏😏

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Re: Results are in

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 am

I forgot the picture. Lol
8ABC5C51-9C7D-4189-AEAD-E50D34884721.jpeg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 am

I think your problems started right at the beginning with humidity that was too high, so basically the unhatched chicks drowned.
Don't feel too badly, my first Hovabator had instructions that if closely followed would have drowned all the chicks.
They must have figured it out eventually, because the newer models have better instructions.

Using the "dry Hatch" method, my best results were with......
Incubating at 35% to 45% humidity and
Lockdown at 55% humidity, which spikes (perfectly normal) to 60% -65% when the hatch starts,
because the hatching chicks give of moisture as they hatch and dry off, which helps the subsequent chicks to hatch.
I found eventually all I had to do is look at the "humidity display" and I could tell if a new chick hatched.
NEVER open the incubator once the hatch starts.
Lots to take in and the learning curve is steep, but you have got your reward :congrats:

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 am

Sorry @Ontario Chick
I should have mentioned. I do the dry incubator. NO water until lockdown. I brought humidity up to 60%
I tried to keep humidity there but it was up and down like crazy!
Down to 33 then I would add a bit of water with plastic tube thru vent hole.
I also had to take our plugs. Put in plugs. Take out plugs. Etc etc

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Yup, like KB says, there lies madness.
Something you may want to look at, when you are cleaning the Bator,
Are all the bottom ventilating holes free and clear? not blocked by anything?
Was there water between the clear tray and the bottom of the incubator?
How much water was in the tray when you took the wire out?
If all these were OK, the spike must have been caused by chicks hatching, since all of them had obviously too much fluid in the eggs.
Not much you could have done at that point.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm

one issue i had with the hovabators, if i put them on the counter, i would get condensation on the counter UNDER the incubator and it would actually plug the holes in the bottom. so i ended up putting my incubator on a dish towel (slightly better) and then even better when i raised it up on a couple of wooden dowels so it was just above the counter. that way any condensation evaporated or dripped to the counter and didn't plug the holes. i just used a couple scrap pieces of wood i had lying around the farm....(they just happened to be wooden dowels about 1/4 inch diameter).....you could easily use pencils or pens or pencil crayon or 2 plates under the sides....anything really.
the humidity normally spikes at hatching, i don't worry much about it at all at that point. but before then....lockdown day 18, then 19 and 20 i would watch it incessantly....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:45 pm

I agree with OC humidity too high right at the end, this is where they do drown . At 99% this would have been too much right at a critical stage, I find 60% often too high. Don't be sad styrofoam incubators are hard to hatch from, I have never had any luck with them. My husband made me a wooden one, works like a charm.
As kids we had a small wooden one with a wire tray the eggs sat on , a light bulb for heat, temperature control of course and we used to put a pie plate with water underneath the wire tray. Best incubator ever, usually 100% of fertile eggs hatched. Wish I still had it but my brother wrecked it.

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:58 pm

@WLLady I had the incubator on newspapers thinking they might absorb any moisture?
During the daytime hatching I just lifted lid and tried to adjust humidity with plugs. But overnight I guess is when it spiked
Next time I think I’ll stay up all night🤪

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Congratulations @Colleen Kinzie You did great!

Don't feel bad.

Now plan for your next hatch. I used a Styrofoam incubator for my first several hatches. You just need to figure how it works and work with it to get 100% hatches. I agreed with everyone's comments. Enjoy the little ones. You did a great job!

Cheers

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 pm

I agree, you did well. I've always used Little Giants and had decent results. I am lucky as I have a room with very stable temperature and humidity so it's ok until July/Augustish. I never fill the incubator to capacity either.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”