Information Incubator thoughts?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Re: Incubator thoughts?

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:14 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:07 pm
I give them 24 hours of no progress before I try to jailbreak them. The thick watery goo that happens in too much moisture, quickly dries out and glues them in like concrete if you open the lid so instead of rescuing one, you end up having to rescue a bunch. I would wait... it's possible that it suffered heart failure and died while unzipping, but if it's just stuck, it won't hurt it to wait a few more hours for rescue. we
The blood happens when a chick pips through a blood vessel before they have started to dry off. It happens sometimes, and they very rarely survive this.
WWW, the one with blood is not moving anymore so probably dead. The other one piped yesterday around this time so it's 24 hours. That chick is peeping loudly and is moving. It's the last egg to hatch, I wonder if she should start chipping away at the egg?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Yes. Do it. Carefully. And keep applying a little water with your finger as you go. Good luck!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:34 pm

yes, ya got nothing to lose

My chicks all came late this year. What bator are they using, (is bator electronic and calibrated properly?), every machine has its quirks and new folk need to learn them.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Oh, if it's the last, then yes! As Jaye said, slow and careful. Any bright white membrane will still have a blood supply, so avoid tearing it if you can. If you can't, the water will turn it translucent so you can see blood vessels. The chick has to finish drawing in the yolk sac and turn in the egg to cut off this blood supply. Once the "lid" is off, I generally pop the egg back in and let the chick struggle out on its own whenever possible.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:00 pm

It's a baby! When she started chipping away at the egg it popped out, she said there is no blood and it's trying to stand. Sounds good to me. Thanks everyone we did it lol.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 pm

:stars: congratulations, "grandpa" lol!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:53 pm

:beer: :beer2:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”