When is a good time to start?

KimChick
Head Chicken

When is a good time to start?

Post by KimChick » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Going to try my hand at incubating a few eggs!
Is March usually a good time? So that by the time the eggs hatch, and the day olds are put into a brooding box, with a warming lamp, it should be cool Spring weather?
Or do some folks start in February?

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Re: When is a good time to start?

Post by JimW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Any time is a good time to hatch. Lol

It depends on your set up I m not allowed to keep chicks in the house so I don’t start incubating until mid- March so then after hatching chicks go to brooder sin my garage and all is good.

If you are going to hatch early as long as you have a warm dry spot to brood chicks you should be good. Last year with the wet spring a lot people seemed to have issues with coccidia due to cool and damp weather so just make sure you have nice warm dry place to raise chicks for a couple months.

Best of luck.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 pm

And that is what spare bathrooms are for!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:47 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 pm
And that is what spare bathrooms are for!
My suv, where I would be living, if my wife found birds in our bathroom, does not even have 1 bathroom. lol

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:16 am

roflmbo, just the thought of the question when asked to this group of regulars

due to our typical wet spring and humid summers, its easier to control humidity in a bator during the "house heating season" of December to May thus better hatches.

of course you must ask: when do you want chicks? when can you handle them?

if you are getting meat frankenchickens and will grow them to extra large size keep in mind that 6-10 pound chickens put out a lot of heat and will over heat in summer hot days and nights typical of late July or August so get and "process" them before the heat season or get them as chicks in late summer so they are not big during the heat. if the weather is cold they eat to stay warm. when I get meat birds I get them late June so they might need a heat lamp for just a week and butcher at large size in September.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 am

So, I'm not allowed :doh: to have chicks in the spring..we are both way too busy; sooooooo, I've been incubating since Oct. My first hatch I hatched out 13 out of 14. Second hatch that hatched Jan15 was 100% and I'm on day 5 of my 3rd hatch. So, hatching during the winter months has worked will for me.

I have 4 from the first hatch living outside in on of my smaller coops. I have 3 little ones under my Buff Orpington in my basement. And 8 eggs in the incubator. I'll probably sell most of those...I think :banana:

Cheers

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:30 am

Just found out that even though I have been "empowered to perpetuate the egg-laying flock", I will need to find out when our 2 brooding pens (boxes) will be needed for the next batch of meat chickens and turkeys. Then I will have to work backwards on the calendar from there. Will keep you posted! Schedules, schedules.... *sigh*

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:19 am

When he renovated the downstairs bathroom DH put underfloor heating in. He then started wondering if it would go high enough to use as a brooder for chicks! And I thought I was the one with problems LOL.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:19 am
When he renovated the downstairs bathroom DH put underfloor heating in. He then started wondering if it would go high enough to use as a brooder for chicks! And I thought I was the one with problems LOL.
That is just too funny! :rofl:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:40 am

When is a good time to start? Usually, I would say "anytime" lol, but there are some things to consider, especially for your very first attempt at hatching. As baronrenfrew said, humidity is WAY easier to control in winter. Spring to fall is humid, rain or no rain. Last year was an absolute nightmare in my area of eastern Ontario at least. Even running incubators dry start to finish, I had SO many drownings, even in waterfowl eggs. It's a lot easier to add water to an incubator (or to the whole house, as I do anyway, because I hate static lol) then it is to keep high humidity down. Even a few days of humidity being too high can damage an embryo. Congestive heart failure, edema, slipped (or completely missing) leg tendons, foot paralysis, chicks too swollen to turn in the egg, skull deformities, all go up in summer. And as JimW mentioned, damp can equal coccidiosis. It was rampant last year, I had a problem with it for the very first time, and it was a very big problem. Medicated chick starter did nothing to prevent the overload, and the less-than-hardy broiler chickens chased the coccidia with bacterial enteritis to boot. :gaah: So anyway, for eggs or chicks, wet=bad.
Also something you might want to consider, is that any pullets hatched after April may not lay eggs until the following spring unless their coop has lights starting in August when days are getting shorter.
Hallowe'en to 1st of March is my favourite time to hatch, because hatch rates are better, chicks are healthier, AND these are eggs laid when most birds have quit for the season, and it's something I like to perpetuate so I always have at least a few eggs in winter :) Plus, if you think you might want to show your birds down the road, it's nice to have a few birds in fall that are old enough to be judged, but not old enough yet to molt, so January/February is a good time to hatch. Also the best time if you plan to butcher your extras, as they will be mature by late summer, and you won't have to worry about feeding too many birds over the coming winter. These are things I keep in mind not only when I'm deciding whether or not to incubate, but also when deciding whether or not to allow a hen to sit on eggs.
Flip side, if you plan to sell any extras you hatch, you will get the best money for young (day old to 11 months old) birds in Spring. It is very difficult to sell birds in Fall without taking a huge loss, and you cannot GIVE cockerels away, so hatching in Spring and Summer can cause more headaches than one.
Many processors will charge more money to slaughter "backyard birds" than for meat breeds, because they give you processed birds by species and weight, but if they are heritage breeds you're sending in, then they have to take time and effort to make sure you get your own birds back--the differences are obvious. You may want to get comfortable with processing your own extras, if you aren't already.

There is also the brooder issue--if brooding chicks outside, between September and May/June, it can be hard to keep heat and ventilation in balance enough that they don't get chilled or respiratory irritations from stale air/their own dust. If power goes out to their heat source, they die, very fast.
If brooding in your house, there will be dust. A fine, slightly greasy powder that will coat everything, IN everywhere. You will find it for years after the chicks have left the house LOL. Your remote control batteries will die, and you'll open the battery case and there will be dust ;) I had some luck keeping it under control by topping my brooder tubs with furnace filters. Some people use HEPA air filters, but I never have, so have no idea how well they would work, or how cost efficient they are.
If you're not already allergic to chickens, exposure to their dander can eventually trigger an allergy. If you are allergic to chickens (as I am ;/ ) then the dander will actually help desensitize you. Either way, if you have chicks in the house, prepare to have every dark surface look like a flour factory blew up. Daily. OK, that's an exaggeration, but if you're a clean freak, birds in the house isn't for you!
One final word of warning: incubating eggs can be highly addictive. Failures are heartbreaking but can push you to try again and again until you get it right, and successes are like eating fine chocolates--so rewarding you don't care how much it costs, it just feels GOOD. Plus, there's something that makes you feel a little god-like when you make life happen just by adding a little heat!
:easter34: :easter34: :easter34: :chicks:

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”