Incubating goose eggs

clawton
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Incubating goose eggs

Post by clawton » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:55 am

Does anybody have special procedures for hatching geese?
I followed some very particular incubation methods last year with great results! 2, 10 egg hatches at 100%
But this year I have the incubator full of Cornish eggs and can't follow those guidelines!

So I guess my question is has anybody had much luck hatching geese under chicken egg incubation guidelines ?

Really want to hatch out some goslings this year but don't want to waste my time or incubator space if it doesn't work well under chicken egg settings?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Incubating goose eggs

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:45 am

clawton wrote:QR_BBPOST
So I guess my question is has anybody had much luck hatching geese under chicken egg incubation guidelines ?
Yes :) Last year I incubated chicken and goose eggs together successfully (3/4 hatched last March and 5/6 in June) and also have hatched geese under a hen. Turned by hand twice a day, no turner, still air. No water added, ever, even at lockdown, because relative humidity in the house was always around 50% which is fine. Over that for long and I got wet hatches and dead-in-shells in the chickens, and even around 50% I got some goopy ones in chickens, ducks and muscovies, so worried about the goose eggs as well. I suspect it would be different with a fan and auto turner though, and you'd have to add some water at some point. The only 'cooling off' period I ever gave the eggs was a couple minutes every few days while I candled them. Oh, and Muscovy ducks are pretty pro at hatching goose eggs too, I find the hatch rate is the same for chickens or ducks, around 50 %, and slightly higher in an incubator.
I incubated all sorts of eggs together last year, and the only thing that didn't hatch the greatest was the turkeys...until I followed a tip from, I think, WLLady? Ontariochick?, to turn the incubator down one degree at lockdown. After I started doing that, EVERYTHING started hatching better than it already was, as if they were in a hurry to get out LOL

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Incubating goose eggs

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:52 am

clawton wrote:QR_BBPOST don't want to waste my time or incubator space
says the man with a sportsman incubator roflmbo
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

clawton
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Incubating goose eggs

Post by clawton » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm

poultry_admin wrote:QR_BBPOST
clawton wrote:QR_BBPOST don't want to waste my time or incubator space
says the man with a sportsman incubator roflmbo
Come on you have to leave a little empty space cause you never know what opportunities might arise out of the blue??

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”