Reflectix questons

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Reflectix questons

Post by Robbie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:10 pm

I've been thinking that I should insulate my sportsman incubator. It has none, and the door is just a sheet of thick plexi. I'd like to use a combo of Reflectix and styrofoam. But, I'm not sure what the best way to apply the two are.
The reflectix apparently doesn't work if there is no air space, so I'm assuming that just gluing it directly to the outside of the wood panels won't do much. Will styrofoam provide an adequate air space? If I need air space, should I use a low density styrofoam instead of high density? If the styrofoam doesn't provide air space, should I just glue high density styrofoam to the outside of the 'bator?
I need to leave holes for the ventilation holes and equipment switches and dials.
Any thoughts/advice?
Thanks.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

BobG
On the Roost

Re: Reflectix questons

Post by BobG » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:55 pm

I guess it all depends on where you are operating it . I just started mine up in the basement ,it took 6 hrs to get to temp and has held steady for the past 14 hrs . This is my first time using it my main bator broke down midway thru cycle .
Chilliwack B.C. Breeder, Exhibitor of SC Large RIR , Brown Red Modern Game Btms, Brown Red O.E. Btms , Grey Call Ducks

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:08 pm

I plan some test hatches before my Buckeye eggs come from Alberta in April. That reminds me BobG I have to get my back up incubator going too, NOTHING can go wrong with this hatch!! (Oh geez I think I just jinxed myself). I had problems too last year, the blasted incukit always died around day 14. 3 out of 3 hatches. Hence, the Sportsman.

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Brian » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:11 pm

If it is inside a heated room, then I would wonder why you want to insulate it? They have been built that way for ever because they work.

If you are hoping to save a few pennies of electricity (nickels I guess now), I guess you could wrap it in Styrofoam, but I am not sure if it would do much. Remember there are ventilation holes on it that let the hot air out anyway.

You might be over-thinking it on not accomplishing much.

Sort of like putting extra insulation on the house and leaving the windows open all winter. The insulation will not do much.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Brian wrote:If it is inside a heated room, then I would wonder why you want to insulate it? They have been built that way for ever because they work.

If you are hoping to save a few pennies of electricity (nickels I guess now), I guess you could wrap it in Styrofoam, but I am not sure if it would do much. Remember there are ventilation holes on it that let the hot air out anyway.

You might be over-thinking it on not accomplishing much.

Sort of like putting extra insulation on the house and leaving the windows open all winter. The insulation will not do much.

Hmmm.... good point............... I was planning on hatching in the basement where it's pretty cold, but perhaps it's best moved upstairs.

JBeard
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by JBeard » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:33 pm

I'd move it into a conditioned small room. Well insulated. Seen some old pics they put blankets on top and sides back in day.
Make sure humidity is adequate.
My new set up is going in an insulated spot under stairs heading to crawl space.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 pm

I had some issues last year with some of my incubations mainly due to high humidity in the summer. I agree covering in styrofoam may conserve a bit of electricity, but probably not much. I would say more important put in a room with relatively stable temperatures so incubator does have to work as much to maintain proper temps in a room that temperature fluctuates a lot.

And not as big of a deal in winter and spring when humidity is lower but don't put in a room that has high humidity, easier to raise humidity inside the incubator than try to decrease humidity if too high.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:11 am

the only benefit I could see with adding extra insulation would be in the event of a power outage. the first thing I do is cover them with heavy blankets and go get my generator. so far at the new place we havent had any power outages, I may not need to worry so much about that anymore.

my last and far superior incubator build was with fake wood (MDF) and no insulation at all. 2 -1/4" air holes that I never plug and when I put my hand on it its at room temp. when I put my hand on my original incubator made with 1/2" plywood and another 1/2" foam (the kind that interlocks into a floor mat) on the inside its very warm. I dont like the fake wood but I like its insulating properties.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”