Early Spring??? Incubators Loaded

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Day 7 today, candled eggs. 26 taken out, duds and blood rings, still leaves me 57 viable in and 3 look iffy. :yay:

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:57 am

Lock down was last night, so I did a final candle and only pulled out three quitters :banana: Now down side is that I had started some in the Hovobator and had nine brewing in it until I could take the turner off and the egg rails out of the Brinseas. So problem being I have WAY too many eggs in the Brinsea to hatch, I have them all in there but they are tight, even have 2 serama eggs sitting on top of the others.

Never had this problem of too many to hatch, so question is it detrimental to have that many hatch in the Brinsea? Will they need more room to move?

I was thinking of hatching them in the Hovo but I never get a good hatch rate in them and IF I have to open the lid the Brinseas are way quicker to recoup the humidity level with the automatic pump.

Any thoughts anyone?? I am a bit nervous of the cramped quarters when they hatch :help:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:25 pm

I've had them hatch in cramped quarters but its not the best some always end up stuck, I would put some in your other incubator to hatch.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks Gail, I might still switch them. Really makes me nervous in that tight, just the Hovo is not great at keeping the humidity up and I don't want any shrink wrapped babies :sad:

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:33 am

Flat Rock Farm wrote:QR_BBPOST Lock down was last night, so I did a final candle
Any action yet Paula?

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:33 pm

I have a hovabator. If I need to increase humidity during lockdown I put a piece of plastic air hose for aquariums through the hole for the turner cord, with the inside end sitting on the floor grate above the water tray near the wall. Then attach a syringe filled with warm water (no needle) that has an end that fits snugly into the hose. I press the plunger of the syringe slowly until it is all the way in. If you press it fast the water will shoot out and may go onto the eggs.

Often there is some water left in the hose. It may drip out on an egg when you pull the hose out. You can lift the plunger to pull air into the hose, then press it again to force the last bit of water out.
IMG_1188.JPG

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Colleen Kinzie wrote:QR_BBPOST
Flat Rock Farm wrote:QR_BBPOST Lock down was last night, so I did a final candle
Any action yet Paula?

Yepper, 1 Bantam Chocolate Cuckoo Orp. out, little early bird LOL Pulled the shell out to make room, don't see anymore pips yet. Tomorrow late afternoon is officially day 21.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Shnookie wrote:QR_BBPOST I have a hovabator. If I need to increase humidity during lockdown I put a piece of plastic air hose for aquariums through the hole for the turner cord, with the inside end sitting on the floor grate above the water tray near the wall. Then attach a syringe filled with warm water (no needle) that has an end that fits snugly into the hose. I press the plunger of the syringe slowly until it is all the way in. If you press it fast the water will shoot out and may go onto the eggs.

Often there is some water left in the hose. It may drip out on an egg when you pull the hose out. You can lift the plunger to pull air into the hose, then press it again to force the last bit of water out.

IMG_1188.JPG

Great idea, thanks Colleen. The thing with the Hovobator is that I have week old eggs that are growing in there right now, so can't put any in there to hatch. Don't want to compromise them. Geesh usually I set a bunch and only half are good but not this time 3/4 of them were good!!! I am hoping the cramped quarters in the Brinseas they will hatch fine. Will keep my eye on any that are in trouble........that's about the best I can do!

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 pm

They are hatching!!! :yay: :yay: :jumpy: :jumpy:

Still some in the incubator..........hope they hatch :fingersx:
Attachments
IMG_2610 (800x450).jpg
IMG_2609 (800x450).jpg

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:14 pm

:yay: - congratulations! Sooo cute. Hope the rest hatch out soon too.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”