Incubator opinions

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Incubator opinions

Post by thegawd » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:23 pm

I'll give you an excuse to get quail... :-) coturnix quail take about 18 days to hatch, under optimal conditions will be full grown and laying 7-8 weeks later and then the cycle repeats. they have super nutritious eggs and have a WAY higher feed to egg or meat ratio than any other poultry.

get some quail!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Incubator opinions

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Oh you lucky thing! What a great hubby. A keeper.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Incubator opinions

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST The saddest thing is I'm going to have to buy some fertilized eggs to test it out!!!
NONONONO! Use junk or dud eggs for the first trial/calibration! They might not develop (or then again, they might, those tiny roosters actually DO manage to get the job done most times), but an incubator may run differently depending on whether it's empty, half full, or full, and you'll want to tweak your settings before you put good eggs in, especially expensive ones. Even rocks will work, or grocery store eggs, or silly putty eggs, anything with some mass to act as heat sinks. I also agree with Al, get your own thermometers in there too, so you'll have an idea if the digital is accurate (they tend to NOT be) and you can find any cool/hot spots so you'll know if you have to shuffle eggs around at all. If you buy fertile eggs for a trial run, chances are good you'll be throwing away money.
And I agree, your husband is pretty awesome!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Incubator opinions

Post by Happy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:00 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST
Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST The saddest thing is I'm going to have to buy some fertilized eggs to test it out!!!
NONONONO! Use junk or dud eggs for the first trial/calibration! They might not develop (or then again, they might, those tiny roosters actually DO manage to get the job done most times), but an incubator may run differently depending on whether it's empty, half full, or full, and you'll want to tweak your settings before you put good eggs in, especially expensive ones. Even rocks will work, or grocery store eggs, or silly putty eggs, anything with some mass to act as heat sinks. I also agree with Al, get your own thermometers in there too, so you'll have an idea if the digital is accurate (they tend to NOT be) and you can find any cool/hot spots so you'll know if you have to shuffle eggs around at all. If you buy fertile eggs for a trial run, chances are good you'll be throwing away money.
And I agree, your husband is pretty awesome!
Ok that makes sense! Thx for the tip :)
Ya hubby is in the good books for a while for sure! Lol
I'm shocked he did this because he's terrified of me filling the yard with chickens. I think he figures this addiction is at least healthier than some others I could take up!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Incubator opinions

Post by kenya » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Good for you, you lucky girl, hug your hubby, that's the best gift! Too bad you were't closer I' give you some fertile eggs to test with.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”