Incubator opinions

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Incubator opinions

Post by kenya » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:58 pm

I would recommend the brinsea, just set it and forget about it! I would not bother with the styrofoam ones, a waste of money although they do work well for some people I have never had any luck.
My husband built me one, works like a charm but my favourite is my R-com.

MommaChick
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Incubator opinions

Post by MommaChick » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:47 pm

If your house is old and drafty like mine, you can consider tucking your incubator in at night. A blankie over mine was what I needed to hatch in this old farm house through winter.
Momma to 4 little chicks down on The Farm
Chickens: Standard White Chanteclers, Bantam Rhode Island Reds, Bantam Black Wyandottes.
Rabbits: Black, Broken Black, & Black Otter Rex
Big Critters: Milking Shorthorns (Reg and Grade), Hay burning Horses out back, and one patient man

Flat Rock Farm

Incubator opinions

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:24 pm

I have had the Hovobators and even had a RollX, but so far I love the Brinsea Octoagon models with the turner and automatic humidity pump. As kenya said just set it and forget it and great hatch results, but yes even with them the room that you set them in also makes a big difference. I will not hatch in the basement anymore, too humid, even in the winter.

Setting my first eggs Feb 14 :banana:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Incubator opinions

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Yes, and somebody here had a brinsea that was too hot and ruined three batches of eggs. Had to fight to return it. I've used foam hovas for 20 years with decent results.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Incubator opinions

Post by Happy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks everyone for opinions. There's no way I'm spending 4-5 hundred bucks on an incubator! Im not quite that big into the hatching thing! Will check out the hovabator

kenya
Henny Penny

Incubator opinions

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:45 am

Put an ad on kijiji for a used incubator never know who will apply.

Happy

Incubator opinions

Post by Happy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:51 am

So...I was all set to meet someone to buy a used hovabator. Asked hubby if he had time to come with me. He avoided responding until I nagged. Then he said there was already an incubator on the way for my birthday present later this month. Super sweet and I love the thought but I'm very leary of what he ordered!!! It's a 3600 Rite Farm model that I'd never even heard of. Not finding a ton of info on it. Anyway guess I will check it out when it arrives and decide then if it's staying which it probably is because I never have the heart to exchange a gift lol.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Incubator opinions

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:23 am

Well then, opportunity to check out something new! ;)
In general terms, if the incubator does more or less what it's supposed to do i.e. provides heat and humidity, it should be fine.
Put in few eggs for a trial run and take notes on the incubator Temperature/ humidity and room temperature and humidity and give yourself enough time to tweak whatever needs tweaking.
And of course we will need pictures and full report. :)

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Incubator opinions

Post by thegawd » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:35 am

oh you spoiled the suprise!!! LOL it looks like a good one! for the first or better yet all hatches I would add my own thermometer n hydrometer to verify that the unit is accurate. I didnt read anything bad about them online but did get a tip and thats to use the styrofoam shipping package that incases the unit for insulation. it has built in temp n humidity gauges, a hatch day counter and really cool egg trays that can hold from quail to goose eggs. and its very fair priced!

Al

Home Grown Poultry

Happy

Incubator opinions

Post by Happy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:47 am

Yes I thought those egg trays were pretty ingenious! Im scared it will give me an excuse to start throwing quail eggs and whatever else in there lol. You know how when you just have to use something because you have it even though you don't need it. Ugggh that's so me.

And thanks for tip on the styrofoam...I'll be sure to keep it and will give a full report OC. The saddest thing is I'm going to have to buy some fertilized eggs to test it out!!! My old girls are shunning Harley and staying with my little Banty roo who clearly can't get the job done on those big girls. And my young girls are still not laying!!!

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”