tips for duck hatching??

Gone Country Farms
Newly Hatched Chick

tips for duck hatching??

Post by Gone Country Farms » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:34 pm

I've hatched lots and lots of birds a lot more chickens then ducks. This springs duck hatch was terrible! All eggs were fertile but none would hatch. I only hatched 20 ducklings out of at least 250. So I'm just seeing if there's anyone who knows some tip and tricks with duck hatching! What should I run humidity at? Etc.... I've done lots of research online but so many different facts that don't match. My runners are laying like crazy and want too do a couple hatches of them. Thanks a lot everyone!
mille fluer duccles. Ducks- call, ayelsbury, cayuga, pekin, Rouen, indian runners. Geese- American buff.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

tips for duck hatching??

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:51 pm

I had very close to 95% this year. I found that dropping the temp at lockdown by 1degree c worked magic. All other settings (temps and humidity) were identical to chicken. I also locked down 1- 2 days earlier than recommended. For 28d incubation i locked down at day 23 or 24 instead of 25.
Worked for me....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Gone Country Farms
Newly Hatched Chick

tips for duck hatching??

Post by Gone Country Farms » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:51 pm

I hear a lot of people talking about lock down what does that mean basically don't open the incubator?
mille fluer duccles. Ducks- call, ayelsbury, cayuga, pekin, Rouen, indian runners. Geese- American buff.

WLLady

tips for duck hatching??

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:08 pm

In the last few days of incubation you stop turning the eggs up the humidity a touch and dont open the incubator. Thats lock down. For ducks and turkeys this also is when i drop the temp 1c.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Gone Country Farms
Newly Hatched Chick

tips for duck hatching??

Post by Gone Country Farms » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:26 pm

Thanks a lot

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

tips for duck hatching??

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:12 pm

yep, if you open the bater when it should be locked, the humidity and temp drops instantly and the ducklings get "shrink wrapped" by the skin that is on the inside shell. they struggle and it takes too much energy to fight the skin and break out of the shell.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Maximus

tips for duck hatching??

Post by Maximus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:18 am

But how does that work under a broody then for lockdown? She's up and eating, pooping, stretching until hatch day. And she doesn't have a thermostat for humidity etc. Mother Nature is awesome!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

tips for duck hatching??

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:51 am

1. Mother duck talks to her hatching ducklings. The ducklings talk to each other. And they hatch almost simultaneously.
2. And she'll stay on the nest for two days or more if needed.
I've heard of lots of research on this.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady

tips for duck hatching??

Post by WLLady » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:33 am

Once eggs are pipped under a broody mom then tend to sit and wait before getting up again.....at least my chickens that brood do. then once all the voices are loud and the same they'll get up and check everything. Broodies are amazing, and mother nature definitely knows best! Our artificial humidity etc are just means to an end....those birds have it down to an absolute art. :-)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

tips for duck hatching??

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:57 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST Once eggs are pipped under a broody mom then tend to sit and wait before getting up again.....at least my chickens that brood do. then once all the voices are loud and the same they'll get up and check everything. Broodies are amazing, and mother nature definitely knows best! Our artificial humidity etc are just means to an end....those birds have it down to an absolute art. :-)
Yup, no incubator as good as a good broody !
Hope some duck people chime in, there are some tricks specific to hatching ducks, beside the length of incubation for ducks 28 days and Muscovy's 35-37 days.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”