Early turkey poults?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Early turkey poults?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:50 am

At 2 in the morning September 2nd, I set 6 turkey eggs, two guinea eggs and a duck egg. A week later on the 9th I set some chicken eggs as well. One turkey egg was an early quitter. As of noon yesterday (the 27th), I had one turkey out, all four of the others pipped, and both guinea pipped. As of 9pm yesterday, 4 turkeys and two guineas hatched, one turkey still working on it. Now, I haven't been very good at math in a few years, but I'm sure something isn't adding up. Upon candling the duck egg, he's on track by my reckoning, internal pip has started, and the chicken eggs are also going to be a couple days yet. All the turkey poults are Beltsville small whites or BSW crosses, except for the first one out...one of Lacy's eggs, and they've never hatched early before, but Pierre the BSW tom is likely the dad of that one too. I seem to recall that Justin the bsw was early too, and think I asked Killerbunny if BSWs usually went a day early at that time??? But that doesn't explain the guineas. Neither can it be explained by hot spots in the incubator, since all eggs get shuffled top left four down to bottom right, twice a day. So is my math wrong somewhere?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Early turkey poults?

Post by thegawd » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:00 am

I think I can recall my bswt are always a day or 2 early or so. I remember thinking maybe I should lower the temp but everything else arrives on time and so I leave it. I almost chalk it up to there size and compare it to how bantams usually hatch a couple days early. meh your math is prolly fine.

hey Congrats!!!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Early turkey poults?

Post by TomK » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:18 am

Great news, Jan...gotta love those wee turkey poults...lol..post some pics, otherwise you may need a visitor coming round for coffee... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Early turkey poults?

Post by WLLady » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:31 am

guineas are always early for me-anywhere between 1 and 3 days early. turkeys are usually 1-2 days early for me too. i just lock down everything that is supposed to go about 28 days on day 22 or 23 now....LOL.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Early turkey poults?

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:17 am

I find my BSWs are a day or two early even under Mum! And BTW what is this crazy hatching talk????? Not helping LOL!!!!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Early turkey poults?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:51 pm

OK, so besides the fact that I'm hatching in late September and will probably have babies in the house until Xmas, I'm NOT crazy lol!
Tom, you're welcome to come for coffee and baby mauling anytime, as long as you don't mind sharing my kitchen with boxes of canning jars, several bushels of tomatoes, stacks of unread newspapers and dirty dishes!
KB, a friend sold her guineas and then immediately regretted it, so asked me to hatch the couple eggs she had LOL...and I couldn't set just two eggs...made sense to me, but truth be told, I just can't seem to stop incubating for very long lol. When there's no babies in the house, I miss their music :D
There's a week-old turkey in the box, to teach the new guys to eat and drink. In theory.
IMG_20160928_143750.jpg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Early turkey poults?

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:56 pm

SO cute, congrats Jan! I know what you mean, they really do sing!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”