Candling. How? What?

Maximus

Candling. How? What?

Post by Maximus » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:11 pm

My calendar says its time to candle the eggs.

I will do tonight at dark. Hopefully will be easier to see, ummmm, whatever I'm suppose to be looking for. This is day 7. Egg tooth and comb growth.

So what if I see nothing? Toss the egg(s) or wait till next candling? Should the inside have darkness?

Thanks

Best Answer by windwalkingwolf » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:18 am
Around day 7-8, the embryo starts doing what I call 'blooping' lol swimming in slow somersaults in a motion that makes me think of a jellyfish. So much easier to see motion if your light is dim, than tiny veins before that time. If shells are really dark (and the embryo is alive), the shells become much easier to see through as time goes on, as the chick absorbs calcium from the shell. Wonderful thing about eggs incubated on their side, as opposed to end-up in a turner, is that sideways incubated eggs are MUCH easier to candle early on because the embryo is at the very side of whatever side is facing up. Wash hands thoroughly beforehand, your skin oils can block pores and introduce bacteria. Pick up the egg exactly as you find it in the nest, don't turn it at all, leave sideways. Shine the (bright!) light into the fat end, preventing as much light from escaping as possible. I use a small flashlight and just use my hand cupped around the end, some use tape, some use foam waterpipe insulation.

GO TO FULL POST ➙

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Candling. How? What?

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:24 pm

I would leave until day 10, that way you'll be sure. Just take a healthy sniff to see if anything's going rotten.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Maximus

Candling. How? What?

Post by Maximus » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Are you teasing me KB? After 7 days I doubt I would smell anything. She sat on duds for 24 days previously and I didn't smell anything. I just don't to do it to her AGAIN. Duds.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Candling. How? What?

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Ah OK so they're under a hen. I would just candle one to see if you see anything, you'll for sure see veining in pale eggs. Just in the incy I sniff and if anything is going rotten you can smell it. A clear likely won't go rotten in chickens (sure do get rotters in turkey eggs though which is why it's important to candle them)
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Maximus

Candling. How? What?

Post by Maximus » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Thank you:)

Maximus

Candling. How? What?

Post by Maximus » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Well I candled with a flashlight in the dark. Yup. Looks like an egg to me. I think I need to pick up a proper candling light.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Candling. How? What?

Post by WLLady » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Put your hand around the lens of the light and sit the egg fat side up with the flashlight shining up from the bottom. At day 7 you should see veining in a light egg. I leave it until day 10 for sure then you should see a dark round dot of an embryo. My fb page photo alum has photos of candling.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Candling. How? What?

Post by Maximus » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks!! I'll check again on the weekend. Heading to see your album on Facebook.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Candling. How? What?

Post by ross » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:20 pm

What I use ..
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Maximus

Candling. How? What?

Post by Maximus » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:33 pm

And yet another use for duct tape. I love it!

Thanks Ross.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”