Candling. How? What?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Candling. How? What?

Post by KimChick » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 pm

First time (ever) candling - Day 10 - was last night.
I saw some varied images - a crescent shape in about 3 eggs; a dark dot in others; veiny appearance in a couple; and blobs in others. With a pencil, I traced the outer edge of the air sac for comparison for Day 14 candling and will check for rotting smell as the days pass.
I used Ross's suggestion for candling, with a thin strip of soft fabric stuck to the upper inside diameter for cushioning, and so the egg wouldn't stick to the duct tape. It worked really well!
Comments? Questions? Concerns?

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:06 pm

KimChick wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 pm
First time (ever) candling - Day 10 - was last night.
I saw some varied images - a crescent shape in about 3 eggs; a dark dot in others; veiny appearance in a couple; and blobs in others. With a pencil, I traced the outer edge of the air sac for comparison for Day 14 candling and will check for rotting smell as the days pass.
I used Ross's suggestion for candling, with a thin strip of soft fabric stuck to the upper inside diameter for cushioning, and so the egg wouldn't stick to the duct tape. It worked really well!
Comments? Questions? Concerns?
Looks like you have some good action in the eggs, check out this web site for details on what you should be seeing. I'm not sure what you mean by crescent shape....anyway check this site...has great pictures.
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/ ... ckens.html

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks Kbr42! That link is now bookmarked. I'm thinking I saw an embryo with the crescent shape and an eye is the dark dot. Also, the eggs are different shades of brown, so the light shines through better on some eggs more than others.
When candling, one egg shell is very spotty, like an inconsistent thickness.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 pm

KimChick wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:21 pm
Thanks Kbr42! That link is now bookmarked. I'm thinking I saw an embryo with the crescent shape and an eye is the dark dot. Also, the eggs are different shades of brown, so the light shines through better on some eggs more than others.
When candling, one egg shell is very spotty, like an inconsistent thickness.
If you dig around on that site there's a great day-by-day hatching series. Sounds like the egg maybe porus. Should be ok. You should have black blobs in most of the eggs. Those are eyes ...lol

Good luck.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”