OK, here is a "poser" about incubators...

muffin
On the Roost

Post by muffin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:08 pm

PROBLEM:
Living off-grid, only regular power sources are solar (when the sun shines), wind (when it is windy), and generator (when previous 2 are insufficient). I would like to run an incubator, for times when a broody hen is not readily available. I would like to use a cabinet incubator like the sportsman 1502, would prefer to make my own. I need help with producing a low wattage reliable heat system...the sportsman uses 325 watts, and that is too high for what I can use.

Any workable suggestions? :broodyhen:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:35 pm

You can buy hova-bators (the table top machines that many of us use: OntarioChick only uses these) that run on DC not aC and so are suitable for solar-battery systems. They consume 75 watts. Or get silkies or Old English Games as they are reliable broodies.
Being off-grid means you use a battery backup system for power. Even a small solar panel and a "marine" deep discharge battery might be all you need. But what about brooding? You hatch chicks you have to brood them typically with a heat lamp or light system???
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:38 pm

heat tape... check out my threads on my homemade cabinet incubator and hatcher.... the hatcher uses heat tape which runs I believe 15 watts per foot of tape for the 11" width... very low wattage! I'll com back to this later...
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:26 pm

Al

Home Grown Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Al (thegawd) is the man for mad inventions. ;)
Tom is also off- grid, I think he also has home built.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:56 pm

Fire :) An oil lamp running 24 hours a day uses about $6 worth of kerosene in 3 weeks, no batteries required. There are overseas manufacturers that build modern kerosene and propane incubators, but the price tag isn't low, especially after freight. There are DIY plans online for kerosene cabinet incubators if that's something you're interested in, as simple as a lamp, a fish tank and tinfoil or nearly as complicated as a Sportsman. If you know someone who can plumb propane, you can heat a fairly large incubator off just a pilot light, and an incubator that uses fire surprisingly doesn't need any more ventilation than an electric, as long as fresh air is coming in the bottom and gases can escape out the top...so if you use a fan you have to be mindful of placement.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:01 pm

https://www.lehmans.com/product/kerosen ... -incubator
I've always wanted one of these, but made do with a rather ridiculous home-made rig lol. The eggs thankfully really aren't picky.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:13 pm

WWW when I found out how you were successfully incubating eggs I just couldnt believe it LOL! Thats crazy awesome! I recall I promised you Id come up with some low wattage, off grid style incubator... I never did tinker around with one BUT I still have lots of heat tape AND another thermostat! I'd like one myself since I was hatching only a handfull of quail eggs at a time in my cabinet. I guess I could get a havobator egg turner or 2 for my hatcher. ;-)

I'm guna experiment with building a simple low budget, low wattage incubator this winter... stay tuned. :-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:25 pm

Im off the grid, OC has it right...i built an incubator..handles maybe 16 eggs at a time..heat from one 25W light bulb...its insulated so the heat loss is negligible...have a little clock motor to push an egg turner rack... I watch the humidity myself and adjust accordingly... I want to add a little computer fan to circulate the air..up til now its a still air unit
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:29 pm

thats AWESOME Tom you should post some pics!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”