Choosing an incubator?

XBRIT
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Choosing an incubator?

Post by XBRIT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:42 pm

8 more days until lockdown, the eggs are moving on their own so some have live chicks inside.
I have ordered a second incubator so will have 2 Little Giant digital with fan and 2 48 egg units with the 4 round windows on top. All 4 just a few months old and are being replaced by the new unit so won't be available until the new unit arrives. I have 2 15 egg turners that I will throw in with the 2 Little Giant units.

XBRIT
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Choosing an incubator?

Post by XBRIT » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:05 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST I think we really need some pictures, I don't know how many people have seen an emu hatching, but I am adding that to my bucket list ;)
Tomorrow is lockdown, day 49 but one hatched today which it's not supposed to do. I have tried to load the video showing the chick actually hatching but it loads then says "empty" but will keep trying. I will try to post a pic of the little guy/gal snoozing.
101_2205.JPG

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Choosing an incubator?

Post by Happy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 pm

XBRIT wrote:QR_BBPOST
Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST I think we really need some pictures, I don't know how many people have seen an emu hatching, but I am adding that to my bucket list ;)
Tomorrow is lockdown, day 49 but one hatched today which it's not supposed to do. I have tried to load the video showing the chick actually hatching but it loads then says "empty" but will keep trying. I will try to post a pic of the little guy/gal snoozing.101_2205.JPG
So cute! Congrats and good luck with the rest!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Choosing an incubator?

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Thank you for posting, looks amazing :)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Choosing an incubator?

Post by kenya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:58 am

Congratulations! You need something in with it to give us a size comparison.

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Choosing an incubator?

Post by poultry_admin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 am

XBRIT wrote:QR_BBPOST I have tried to load the video showing the chick actually hatching but it loads then says "empty" but will keep trying
Check out the size of it, if it's huge (150Mb and more) the server won't accept it.
If it is, upload it here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
and I will link it to your post.
Or you put it up on youtube yourself and post a link.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

XBRIT
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Choosing an incubator?

Post by XBRIT » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 am

Thank you Admin. Lol of course it's huge, have you seen the size of an Emu egg.
Link is above to the actual hatching, thanks to our special overseer Admin:) Enjoy

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Choosing an incubator?

Post by thegawd » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 am

WOW thats amazing! Congrats! It sounds like a raptor off of jurassic park! Hehe
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Choosing an incubator?

Post by Happy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:40 am

That's awesome! Thx

kimszoo
Newly Hatched Chick

Choosing an incubator?

Post by kimszoo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:35 pm

poultry_admin wrote:QR_BBPOST Our hovabator couldn't keep the heat steady either until we found the warmest, "stablest" room in the house. Wood stove heat has too much swing in the house temperature. The sportsman has a MUCH bigger heating element, so they can increase the heat quickly and therefore keep it more stable. Also, the bigger water reservoir, more eggs and the non insulated walls help keeping it steady compared to the small batch, small mass incubator, imo.
Agree, the sportsman is better for all the reasons you've stated. But at this point, I don't need a larger incubator.
The room with the most stable temp is the room with the wood stove. I have ducting and fans controlled by a thermostat, so the temperature swings don't happen, and an alarm to notify me if the room temp is out of whack. I expected my biggest issue to be humidity, and it's certainly an issue but manageable. It just always surprises me that people will spend so much for a styrofoam incubator. They're thin walled so not very energy efficient, easily broken, hard to clean, etc.
I know building one isn't for everyone, I'm just one of those people who's always curious to see what I can do. And I'm cheap when I can be :)

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”