Choosing an incubator?

nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Choosing an incubator?

Post by nekoatsume » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:15 am

Any recommendations on brand? I see one is on sale in the local TSC flyer but I'm unsure as to whether or not it's worth the cashola. What should a newb look for in an incubator?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Choosing an incubator?

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:31 am

Since they don't say what make it is I probably wouldn't get it. Likely a poor quality knock off.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Lori
Newly Hatched Chick

Choosing an incubator?

Post by Lori » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:35 am

I just bought one the last time they were on sale, and set it up 2 days ago. It's still empty right now, as I am having some temperature swings in it that I'm concerned about. I found this article, and right now I'm getting some jars ready as heat sinks. Hopefully that works.
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.c ... nsive.html

It says on the box it's a Little Giant by Miller Manufacturing.

nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Choosing an incubator?

Post by nekoatsume » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:52 am

Thanks guys - I was concerned with that particular incubator's capabilities, given that TSC often sells inferior supplies (cough) those "coops" (cough). Hate to be ripped off.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Choosing an incubator?

Post by Robbie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 am

You can build your own, check out Incubator Warehouse http://incubatorwarehouse.com/
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Choosing an incubator?

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:36 am

OK so if it's a Little Giant I have 3 of them (not digital the older model) and I've had good results, other people not so much. attention to detail is huge when incubating. I have a room with a steady temp/humidity and no sunlight falling there so that makes it easier.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Choosing an incubator?

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:01 pm

killerbunny is on the nose. For years I ran two bators in our basement: steady temps and humidity and reliable results and I ran them dry as the basement was damp. The machines were foam Hovabators: similiar to little giants. I now run an older GQF sportsman. (A sportsman is like a small fridge and holds 300 eggs.) It ran great in a spare bedroom at home last year. I ran it in March and the room was set at a steady temp and results were great. Worth noting the room was dry and I ran the humidity tray full. This year it ran in an old school with poor results (20% hatch vs 85% at home). The class had wild swings in temp as it was on the east and the brick walls would heat up.
Now I have it back at home in our kitchen (reasonable temps and small swings in temps) and i am gonna set it up in the basement for the future. A friend runs 5 hovabators (for different hatches) and she gives up in summer as its too hard to control humidity and room temps.
Its the three rules of real estate: location, location, location.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Choosing an incubator?

Post by kenya » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:13 pm

I have an R-com and although expensive, you just put the eggs in and forget about it. I love it, pings when it needs more water, turns the eggs ,you set heat and humidity and the machine does the rest. My husband also made me one, and it works like a charm, again you set and humidity and it does everything else, except I have to hand turn the eggs. I borrowed my nephews little giant and did not have good luck I think with those the room you choose is important to get heat and humidity settings stable. Of course a broody hen is the best if you only want a small amount but of course they decide when they are going to go broody.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Choosing an incubator?

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Oh yeah, while you're at it go to Staples and get a battery backup (made for computers) Ontariochick's rig will run two Hova's for four hours. (There's a pic on the site somewhere, or we can ask OC to put it on again).
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Choosing an incubator?

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:17 am

The battery back up I have is quite elderly (right side) I am sure there are newer and better models on the market.
The UPS is great (middle) in case hydro goes off, it will sound "alarm" as opposed to radio alarm, which will be absolutely quiet ;)
Incubating set up.jpg

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”