Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:46 am

What beautiful chicks OC!! :congrats:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Ameruacana chicks 2016 hatch

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:14 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST
I absolutely ADORE your light blue coloured birds, saw some at Doug's several years ago when we were making the Blackie trade. I know they're not considered desirable without the darker blue lacing, but it's a colour I personally much prefer over the 'standard' blue. Like a dark lavender. Have you ever bred the light blue ones together to see what you get? I swear, I'm going to buy some of them from you one day.
I had a very pale Blue hen last year, Lavender looking really, kept her out of the breeding pens, still have her, here is your chance to produce some more magic ;) and I am sure there is a lovely pale Blue cockerel it this batch, different mothers so good match. :)

Lori
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Lori » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:37 am

They're SO pretty!!

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:10 pm

Nice chicks OC! I just hatched my first home bred Ameraucanas. From a black rooster and a black hen I hatched three chicks - two black and one blue. I was expecting all black.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:13 am

Ontario Chick wrote: I had a very pale Blue hen last year, Lavender looking really, kept her out of the breeding pens, still have her, here is your chance to produce some more magic ;) and I am sure there is a lovely pale Blue cockerel it this batch, different mothers so good match. :)
There is no doubt in my mind that if you brought those birds to the Picnic, you would not be going home with them :heart:
Shnookie wrote:QR_BBPOST Nice chicks OC! I just hatched my first home bred Ameraucanas. From a black rooster and a black hen I hatched three chicks - two black and one blue. I was expecting all black.
:shocked:
I'm sure this is a terrible thing for a serious breeder, but for me, it would be a :yippie: moment, and I would spend the rest of my life trying (and failing no doubt lol) to replicate getting blue chicks out of two blacks. We need pictures!!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:12 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST
Shnookie wrote:QR_BBPOST Nice chicks OC! I just hatched my first home bred Ameraucanas. From a black rooster and a black hen I hatched three chicks - two black and one blue. I was expecting all black.
:shocked:
I'm sure this is a terrible thing for a serious breeder, but for me, it would be a :yippie: moment, and I would spend the rest of my life trying (and failing no doubt lol) to replicate getting blue chicks out of two blacks. We need pictures!!
Yeah, what she said ;)
That's why I always get a chuckle out of anybody who thinks they have got it all figured out.
Happy to admit that at some point in my life in far and foggy past, I was one of those people, before I knew enough to know I didn't know anything. ;)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:11 pm

One of those black birds had to have been a very dark blue, happens all the time, look at the underfluff it will be a lighter colour, indicating a blue bird.

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:26 am

I had a blue Silkie so dark that it looked black and the only way to tell was to have a light at just the right angle on the under fluff.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:41 am

I had that in Blue Wyandottes, called it "navy blue" oddly enough genetically it seemed to be less rather then more Blue as there was some silver leakage on the hens.
Shnookie, three chicks is a very small group to jump to any kind of conclusion , so really you should hatch about 50 and the we should discuss it at length ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Awesome idea OC!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”