Chick hatched "Outside" the shell!!!!!

Seastar
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Seastar » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 am

A hoax or not, it was entertaining to watch. The outcome affects me in no way so I will choose to think it was legitimate.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:49 am

Seastar wrote:QR_BBPOST A hoax or not, it was entertaining to watch. The outcome affects me in no way so I will choose to think it was legitimate.
Ditto!!!!! :chicken_dance:
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:52 am

Poultryprincess wrote:QR_BBPOST Holy Crap "WLLady" ~ I had no idea there was so much happening in an "Embryo" class!!!
I never heard of such a thing, I had to read your post a few times, cause it sounds SO AMAZING.

I enjoy mice, rats, spiders, snakes & other critters since Grade 7
(ever since our teacher encouraged every one to hold & care for his menagerie)
BUT when they wanted us to dismember a frog in grade 10...NOPE couldn't handle it.
Couldn't even watch when our kid got needles at school - Blood - YUCK - makes me wanna puke!

in Grade 12 Biology my daughter got to go to Queens University on a trip where only 3 kids form the school got selected. They visited the biology class in the university and were given the chance to hold human organs including a brain. She said she was the only one she did it the rest just could not deal with it.
She has no issue with fixing birds up if injured and also if they are put down she has also presented her Biology teacher with cleaned and varnished skulls of Silkie's, Ducks and Guinea Fowl as he is to retire this year.

She says she just needs to put her Medical brain on and it is all good then.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:21 am

I like that "medical brain". that's pretty much how i do it too....switch to scientist mode and i can do anything! LOL. only thing i can't handle is pulling staples out of me....stitches no problem, staples (oh, and ticks) just creep me out. LOL

i am going to try it with a couple of eggs, i'll see if i can't find some of that parafilm somewhere....and see if i have lost the touch or not. the heartbeat is awesome.

well, today is timmie's send a kid to camp day. NEED coffee ;-P
hm....how am i going to do this with the turner....i'll have to egg carton them i think and turn by hand....hm.....maybe i'll incubate them for a few days first, and THEN open them and start turning by hand....we used to sit them in petri dishes with a holder of plasticene in the bottom....
hm.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:14 pm

Well, if you are going to try, may I suggest you replicate how they did it in the video? Like where they crack the egg in to the glass like they were making an omlette?
And if you are successful hatching a chick after all that, I will call up all the courier services and ask them just what the @#$%#@ they have been doing to the hatching eggs in transit.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:47 pm

Well this "Princess" has a hard time with Blood!
( but I LUV Vampires, because they are Fake )

BUT - IF a bird, or critter is ILL or Injured....NO Problem.
"DR. Princess takes over"!!!

IF It's Human blood, well not so much - LOL
I had to put Chickens & a duck down while hubby was away fishing.
Don't like it, but I can't let them suffer.

I'm fascinated by the embryo...but also creeped out a bit.
I would feel so bad about it only making it to 16 weeks & then gone.

As hard as I try, I have Not been able to open an Unhatched egg to see how far it developed.
I am sure once I can do that I can look at Incubation as a Start, instead of an End.

I'm anxious to see what you come up with WLLady!!!!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Could you Tylan dip the eggs? That should delay growth of bacteria at least. If trying the saran wrap and a glass thing, I'd do a Tylan dip two or three days before opening the egg, give it time to penetrate the 'white' somewhat before exposing the contents to air. I'm not sure what, if anything, you could do about fungus. I want to see one of these 'open eggs' make it all the way, even if it's just a windowed egg.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:52 am

we used to wipe them off with 100% ethanol before putting them in the incubator. the ethanol kills the bugs and fungus on the surface of the egg, and evaporated fast enough that it didn't apparently do anything to the insides (although nothing made it to hatching LOL so...).
i'll see if i can't set something up this weekend or so....and see if hubby has a camera i can set up, or at the least i can try to take daily photos with my cellphone...or short videos. thankfully i know how to get in touch with poultry_admin to help upload videos ;-P ha ha (there are perks to being married to a guy that "gets" computers!!! thanks in advance hubby!!!!) i'll have to find my dissection equipment....hm....the trickiest part was opening the shell without dropping shell onto the white inside....because it sticks and doesn't pull off easily.
guess this will be a hovabator endeavor.....with the window in the top. and no turner.....they spill if on a turner. maybe i'll throw one in a dish like they did just to see what happens LOL.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:06 am

When I did it with my students I had nothing fancy just normal school stuff and I raided my kitchen drawer. We only ever made it to about the 10-12 day mark but the kids came in everyday and immediately went to the grow chamber. I used plastic disposable cups and saran wrap and a petri dish. I wiped the outside of the egg with ethanol as well as the saran wrap, then made a hammock out of the saran wrap over the cup ( a deep hammock) and then placed a petri lid over the cup and put it in an enviro grow chamber made for plants that I put heat lamps in. I would lift the petri dish off and place it back on every morning to refresh the oxygen inside the hammock....some may think it was cruel to set something up just to watch it die but like I told the kids it was destined to be an omelette so why not try? If nothing was ever tried we wouldn't learn very much about the natural world and people might still believe in spontaneous regeneration!

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:12 pm

Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST Well, if you are going to try, may I suggest you replicate how they did it in the video? Like where they crack the egg in to the glass like they were making an omlette?
And if you are successful hatching a chick after all that, I will call up all the courier services and ask them just what the @#$%#@ they have been doing to the hatching eggs in transit.
Lol no kidding!!!

I am pretty sure the ones in the video there are positive pressure gassed...the white fiyting on the side is a gas fitting like what the filters in my lab have for vacuum filtering things...probably to make sure the gas exchange happens regularly. My hydro has been out all morning (just came on) so i havent tried anything yet...i have 3 eggs from under lil miss broody that i was going to open and try out. Dont know if i have any clear plastic glasses. I might have aome of those crappy clear plastic wine glasses lol. Hm...thunderstorms rolling through...what could possibly go wrong??!! Lol

Okay. So my plan is...if i can find a clear plastic glass....one will go in there (wipe glass with ethanol first wipe egg and crack into glass and cover in film). Another will get a window cut through the shell. And i will probably need a practice egg lol

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”