Chick hatched "Outside" the shell!!!!!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon May 30, 2016 10:27 pm

It actually can be done to day 16 or so. The white thing in the glass is a gas hookup for oxygenating and gas exchange (o2 for co2) and humidifying the "chamber" or space under the plastic. The holes poked at the top allow the exchange to happen to the embryo. Scientists in china have also developed a silicone egg shell that is clear....and can grow embryos to day 17. But hatching is still an issue....i also suspect with the japanese setup the gas conditions are vital as is humidity...and non-pourous plastic (pretty doubtful you can do this on your counter lol) .
The see through silicone egg is pretty neat too. I used to grow embryos in an incubator for an embryology class at the vet college with a window cut out of the shell and a sheet of parafilm wrap (lab wrap that breathes) over the window.. up to day 16...thats quite easy really with the proper incubator.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue May 31, 2016 8:10 am

I saw this on Facebook and call BS in a big way. I didn't even entertain it or think about putting it here because I figured y'all would know it was a BIG FAT not frigging likely.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue May 31, 2016 8:16 am

okay, that's it....i'll figure out how to cut a window in an egg and incubate it. LOL. it's not in a glass, but it's still cool!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 31, 2016 8:19 am

I want that incubator!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue May 31, 2016 8:29 am

:)
It's bad enough to spend 2 days with a crick in the neck watching chicks hatch, can't imagine spending 3 weeks watching. ;)

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue May 31, 2016 8:39 am

what would be the easiest way to sterilize a couple plastic bags and a plastic cup at home? boil it? microwave? id love to try it! I could see this working but was disappointed that they didnt show the chick "hatching".

Kathy that would be really cool!

Iv hatched an egg before that was cracked and taped closed.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue May 31, 2016 8:44 am

what i don't get is how they would stop the surface from drying out, unless they're running close to 90% humidity.....
for us using parafilm in the embryology labs we had to drop a drop of saline (sterile of course!) onto the developing embryo twice a day to make sure it didn't dry out.....and the biggest issue was sticking. you can only rotate the egg a little bit or the albumen will spill out the hole cut in the shell, and that's a bad thing LOL. so eventually as the embryo gets bigger it sticks to the inside of the shell unless it's kept really moist. and one wrong move with the saline (touch the end of the pipette to anything) and it's all over from contamination with bacteria or fungi. we used to start with 100 of them for a class of 50 students, and by the time day 16 rolled around we were down to 2 or 3 surviving ones...and that was with 4 teaching assistants looking after them multiple times a day!

al, best is to put it in hot water, just below boiling (otherwise you'll melt the plastic). plastic stretch wrap is porous though, so eventually i think the "white" would leak through....i think something more like a transparency plastic (you know those old overhead projector sheets from classes eons ago) and then use a heat gun to melt it somehow....

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 31, 2016 8:46 am

They were doing work like this years back to try and develop a better method for harvesting flu vaccine. I wonder if it was an offshoot of some of that?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Tue May 31, 2016 10:36 pm

I have actually done this with my high school biology students. They always die though but still very interesting and the students love watch the tiny heartbeat flicker.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:09 am

Holy Crap "WLLady" ~ I had no idea there was so much happening in an "Embryo" class!!!
I never heard of such a thing, I had to read your post a few times, cause it sounds SO AMAZING.

I enjoy mice, rats, spiders, snakes & other critters since Grade 7
(ever since our teacher encouraged every one to hold & care for his menagerie)
BUT when they wanted us to dismember a frog in grade 10...NOPE couldn't handle it.
Couldn't even watch when our kid got needles at school - Blood - YUCK - makes me wanna puke!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”